Kenwood HTB 405 or 505?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paula Neese, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Paula Neese

Paula Neese Agent

I need to buy a small, starter home theater-in-a-box type set up. I've read the archives and see the Kenwood HTB 405 mentioned numerous times. As I scan the net for comparison shopping, I can't seem to identify what the difference is between the HTB 405 and the HTB 505, other than about $30 and probably release dates. Any significant reason to buy one over the other?
    I also read Ron's old thread about the JVC DS-TP230, but can't find it in stores anymore. Is there another, newer JVC HTB that you would recommend?
    Thanks for your help,
    Paula[​IMG]

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

just prowling the board this morning, and I see you might take a look at the nearby thread for Onkyo HTB 650 now being "raved."

bill

3. Albert M

Albert M Stunt Coordinator

The HTB-505 has a powered subwoofer, I dont think the 405 has a powered sub. The Kenwood HTB-505 and the Onkyo HTB are both equal in performance,here the Kenwood HTB-505 can be had for $377 plus shipping.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

5. David Dhaus

David Dhaus Agent

I listened to both the Kenwood 505 and the Onkyo 650 before choosing the Onkyo. It may have been the set up of the Kenwood in Best Buy vs. the way the Onkyo was set up in Circuit City, but the Onkyo sounded much - MUCH - better. It was not close. I did not really believe the rave reviews it got on the Circuit City website. Then I listened to it in the store. It sounds even better in my house. You really need to go listen to each system, then decide for yourself.

6. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

It is the 504 and the 505 that received the great reviews. I started with the 504 which a person would be hard pressed to find now. It was incredible for the money. The 505 is just a tad better in the speakers and the remote. If I were in the market today though for a HTIB, I would definitely go with the Onkyo 650. There have been some in home comparisons which have tipped the scale to the 650 system. IMO the 650 warrants the sale. Any system will sound so much better in your home to. When the Onkyo started out it was $650 now you can find it for under $500. Good luck Paula.

7. Paula Neese

Paula Neese Agent

Thank you all SO much for taking the time to give me your input. I really appreciate having members here to get opinions from! I will definately check out the Onkyo 650.
    Thanks again,
    Paula