Kenwood HTB - 205 vs 206?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Yogesh, Aug 5, 2003.

1. Yogesh

Yogesh Auditioning

Hi,

I am considering going in for a basic home theater under $300; and while shopping around saw that Kenwood HTB 206 was an option. Kenwood also has a 205 model, which it has now discontinued but is still available at some stores. Are there any differences between the 205 and 206 models (was not able to find clear comparisons of the two on the web...)? Also, any advice for or against Kenwood systems?

Thanks!

2. ChrisMcL

ChrisMcL Extra

You get what you pay for. Your budget will purchase you a very unsatisfying surround sound system. You may consider saving yourself the expense.

The sub-$500.00 "home theater" systems have such poor tonal quality, poor imaging, and poor range or reproduction, that they would barely be an improvemant over listening through your TV speakers. There is no $300 system that can give the barest imitation of what film-makers or television producers intended in terms of soundtrack reproduction.

Save your money. Put it in the bank, earn interest on it, and save up for a $1000 system. It will be very satisfying. Kenwood will only take your money and leave you wanting.

You sound as if you've not yet visited your local independent A/V retailer. Even if you decide to eschew my advice, you owe it to youself to make a visit. It will put a lot of things into perspective, and help you to make a better decision. And by the way, don't tell them you intend to spend only $300. Just play it cool and listen to several systems.

3. Mike Wladyka

Mike Wladyka Supporting Actor

Yogesh,

I have the HTB 205 system, and think it is a decent system...mine was a gift and was $250...it is a definite improvement over TV speakers, and makes a huge difference in movies, if you are not used to watching movies this way...However, it has been only a year, and i am going to be upgrading...my HTB 205 starter system is less than a year old. I got to listen to some good speakers and was blown by how much better they are...i was definitely missing alot of things.

i was pretty happy with mine till i heard others, now i am left wanting more

if you want some facsimile of theater sound for cheap, go with home theater in a box, but if you want good sound save your money...

subsequently i was in school and couldn't afford a good system, and i was tired of listening to movies through tv speakers (which i cant even listen to anymore), so i was lucky to get a present...

my $2/100

4. JohnSch

JohnSch Extra

I'll second Mike - I have owned the 205 for more than a year, and have been very satisfied with its performance. It's no audiophile system, but does give you far more than the built-in speakers of your TV would. If your room is fairly small and you're not an audiophile, and it's your first 5.1 system, you will be happy with it as a bridge audio system. No, it cannot compete with a $1000 system.

Of course, given all my equiptment is not in that class, it works for me. [$90 progressive DVD player, $1600 53" panny RPTV, $280 samsung HDTV tuner, and $250 HTB sound system, small california home with 7 year old child, so no massive volume past 9pm [​IMG] ]

5. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

Yogesh, If you want surround sound and can only afford to spend less than $300. I say go for it. The Kenwood systems are fine for what they are designed for, inexpensive surround sound. Just understand you're basically investing in an adequate system that won't be worth upgrading. Use it until someday in the future when you can afford better quality/performance. I think $250 or so on a Kenwood system is better than going without and you can always use the Kenwood for a second TV in the future.

6. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    The weak link in a Kenwood HTB is going to be the speakers. While they produce average sound the Kenwood receiver mated with a step up in speaker can give downright amazing results.

My advice, if it's all you can afford, get into home theater now with the Kenwood HTB. Start fiddling and learn the ins and outs of the receiver, (great receiver but poorly written manual) and then save your money for a speaker upgrade, something like Infinity's Entra speaker system. (you can get this system for about $1000)

7. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Hi Yogesh. The weak link to me in both systems are the speakers. The 205 has an 8 inch sub and the 206 a 6 1/2. Otherwise not much difference to me. Between the two, I would get the 206 just because it's newer.I have heard the 205 at Best Buy and would't buy it at that price. Maybe the 206 is better, but I doubt it. Best Buy shows a little Yamaha system for $299. I think they are a step above Kenwood. Or maybe get a cheaper receiver (KLH/Sherwood) and better speaker package (Onkyo/JBL). I'm sure that would sound better. But of course you must listen before you buy. I would hate for you to be disappointed in your first system. Good luck and enjoy the hunt. Gene

8. Yogesh

Yogesh Auditioning

Thanks all for your invaluable comments. I am inclined to start with the 205, and then upgrade later when I have the money. Also, regards 205 vs 206, I got to know that they are the same except for the finishing. Here is the reply from Kenwood to my query to them.

Have fun with your equipment, this forum rocks!
    [​IMG]

--- Reply from Kenwood ---

Thank you for writing to us at Kenwood USA Corporation.

In regards to your inquiry, the HTB-206 is this years model, and the HTB-205 is last years model. The features and specifications are the same, except the HTB-206 has a silver finish, and the HTB-205 is black.

If you have any further questions or need help with anything, please feel free to contact us again.

Kenwood U.S.A. Corporation
    Consumer Services
    P.O. Box 22745 Long Beach, CA 90801-5745