Kenwood Entre'

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Bruce Patterson, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Bruce Patterson

Has anyone had an opportunity to try out the Kenwood Entre' system? I pasted the pertinent details below, with more available here: http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/pr...productId=2357

I'm really considering a pair of the Sovereign 400+ changers, which this unit can control. Any comments on how they work?

Thanks!

GENERAL FEATURES
    - Controls Kenwood Sovereign 400-Disc DVD Changers: via RS-232 Connection
    - Controls Kenwood Sovereign Receivers: via RS-232 Connection
    - Finish: Black
    - Included PC Application: Allows Management for Entré Program Meta-Data Information Remotely via PC
    - Instant On/Off (no "Booting")
    - Internal CD-R/RW Drive
    - Internal Hard Disk Drive: 20GB
    - Internal Modem: v.90 (56kbps)
    - Internet Connection: via OpenGlobe, Inc. Gateway
    - Manages Digital Media: CDs, CD-R/RWs, DVDs, MP3 & WMA Files, Internet Radio
    - Multi-Room Capability via Home PNA 2.0 Connection: with Optional Kenwood Remote Audio Player (RAP)
    - On-Screen Graphical User Interface: Formatted for 1.33:1 TV Screens

- Provides Gateway for Internet Radio, Gracenote® CDDB, MovieDB® and FCC Information Databases
    - Provides Gateway to Internet

MOVIEDB DVD-VIDEO MOVIE RECOGNITION FEATURES
    - Available DVD Titles: 6,500+
    - Downloadable Chapter Title Information
    - Downloadable Genre, Rating, Cover Art Information

2. Kenny_H

Kenny_H Stunt Coordinator

Bruce, first, go to www.avsforum.com. There is a very lenghty thread on that very topic. Second, find a number for Kenwood and try to get information from them as to the latest resolution on it's status. Because of that thread, I gave up on linking DVD changers. Now, MAYBE Sony has a way to link their new 400 disc changers (DVP-CX985V & ES model)coming in Sept), but, i'm not holding my breath! Good luck!!!

3. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

It's a pretty nifty little piece of equipment. It has an easy to use GUI and the functions can be accessed by the remote or on the unit. I'm not a big MP3 fan, so it wouldn't really appeal to me, but it is convenient being able to rip and store CDs so they are all accessable on-screen. It'll also pull the track listings and cover art off the internet and display them on the TV and organize everything on the hard drive.

It was kind of ahead of its time for mass-market consumer gear, but a whole slew of similiar items will be coming out soon from other major brands. Who knows? Maybe that kind of unit will be the center-piece for the multi-source, multi-zone installations of the future.

DJ

4. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

Why spent that much on the Entre when you can build a HTPC for less? I would recommend hooking up two mega DVD changers, using the Slinke (if you are using the Sony DVD changers) and then running www.myhtpc.net as your user interface. Best of all its free (the software, not the equipment).

5. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

The multizone capability and total media control across them is very impressive and something that would very difficult if even possible with an HTPC.

The damn thing is still very buggy though.

6. Mathew Shelby

Mathew Shelby Second Unit

"Total Media Control" > That is exactly what a HTPC is designed for. Check out myhtpc.net for examples.

7. Bruce Patterson

Matthew,

What does the SLINKE and MYHTPC installed do then? In other words, what's so compelling?