What's new

Kenwood, Emerson, Denon (1 Viewer)

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Went to the local goodwill today (wanted to get a cheap trenchcoat to wear to The Matrix...yeah, corny? I know)

anyways...they have on auction a bunch of electronics, as listed below

Kenwood VR-506 Reciever (6-ch surround, 3 S-video in/1 out)
Emerson CD150 Single CD Player
Denon DRW850 Double Cassette deck
2 Nakamichi (never heard of them, no model number) Cassette decks

5 pc Athena surround speakers (4 surrounds, 1 Center)
it says S.5 on the backs, with varying model numbers (102099, 1120976, 102098)

What I'd like to know, is if any of this stuff is worth getting... currently, I have a bid in for $50, though it will most likely be outbid very soon... what is the approximate value of this stuff? Maybe that will help, so I know how high to bid.

Thanks in advance.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Emerson CD150 Single CD Player
An extremely low-end cd player probably not even worth $20.

Don't know about the Denon but nakimichi is a semi high-end/psuedo high-end manufacturer who made decent cassette decks. Can't believe they are worth much now though. If you could find buyers the stuffs probably not worth more than $150-200.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
nakimichi is a semi high-end/psuedo high-end manufacturer who made decent cassette decks
Nakamichi are the paradigm (always wonder what the word means?) of cassette decks. It was the highest-end of high-end cassette decks. Check here to see how much its decks are worth. Also check here for more Nakamichi info.

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
If you could find buyers the stuffs probably not worth more than $150-200.
I'm not selling the stuff, it's on auction at goodwill, and I was trying to decide whether or not to buy it...

$150-200 CDN or US? I just want to know what to bid max so I don't bid too much....

Thanks...

RobWil

Supporting Actor
Nakamichi are the paradigm (always wonder what the word means?) of cassette decks.
Webster’s dictionary defines paradigm as, "An outstandingly clear or typical example or archetype."

And, yes, you are correct and I may have worded that badly. I should have said "nakimichi is a semi high-end/psuedo high-end manufacturer who, during the era of cassette's, made some of the best cassette decks around." :D

Mark....I was speaking in terms of US $$$. You can get the receiver new for $200 or so, the Emerson CD player is prolly worthless unless you just don't have one, period (and then maybe not even), the cassette decks, depending on condition are probably decent enough if you still listen to cassettes. Like Danny said, Nakamichi made some of the best if you bought their top of the line or close to it...I imagine they made lower quality ones as well. Who knows about the Denon. I'm not sure why anyone would want 3 cassette decks, but I guess if they're sold in a lot you don't have much choice. Are you sure it all works??
It's hard to tell you how much of your money to spend on something I wouldn't buy myself, but I guess if I didn't have anything to listen to and had a few bucks laying around I might.....nah!...on second thought I wouldn't....I'd buy a few cases of sone decent beer instead ;)

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
I'd buy a few cases of sone decent beer instead
Well seeing as I'm only 16, accquiring beer is impossible by any legal means;)

the thing is, I don't have much of a disposable income, and parental help will be limited in buying this stuff... I was just thinking of setting the stuff up in a seperate room, so I guess I could have another home theater?.?....anyways...most likely it'll go to some *idiot* who doesn't appreciate what he/she just bought, and will probably sit unused, or not used to it's full potential... *mini-rant mode off*...

anyways...

RobWil

Supporting Actor
To be very honest , if you have something halfway decent already I would pass.
I'm sorry you're not old enough yet to enjoy the bountiful pleasures of beer! At my age it is even better than sex! Although , if I remember right, there is NOTHING at your age better than sex :D
Just remember though.....when you are of age to drink....drink responsibly.
Meaning...when you get drunk, don't forget the condom:laugh:
DAMN I'm funny! Especially after drinking a few! :laugh:

sorry admin...but I'm feelin' gooooood!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
No problem, Rob. I smiled when reading your post.

The Nakamichi 1000, when introduced in 1975 at the then-astonishing MRSP of $1,000, was the ne plus ultra of cassette decks. Problem was, for me, I didn't listen to cassette decks.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
I smiled when reading your post.
SMILED....is that all?!? Come on...this is great stuff here!

Seriously, imagine...$1000 for a cassette deck! You could get an awesome 10" Teac reel to reel back then for that kind of money w/ up to 15ips speed! In fact in the A/V shop in Germany I think I paid $475 for my Teac. In fact again...I remember running all over the place trying to find the Fischer Studio Standard cassette deck (can't remember the model) that had reviews comparing it's playback quality to an Akai reel to reel for around $225.

joe rizzuto

Stunt Coordinator
the speakers are canadian made by the same company thats makes energy speakers.
they get good reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks