Kenwood DVD player with the stutters

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Kerryn R, May 30, 2004.

1. Kerryn R

Kerryn R Auditioning

Hi all, hoping to get some input from any who may have had similar problems.

I have a Kenwood player (5060) that is still under warranty (phew!). Before I have to get help to drag my great big entertainment unit out and crawl around underneath so I can uncable it and send the player in for repair...(why the blazes don't they make the power cords detatchable like the other inputs??) I was hoping some of you might have some insight on what the likely cause of my problem may be?

Most of the time the unit operates normally, but with some discs, it starts off fine, and then about 20 - 30 minutes into the movie, it starts to have problems. Firstly it's just a bit of pixellated flicker, which progresses to brief 'hanging' during play which worsens quickly to longer skips and hangs until the picture freezes altogether. This progresses until it ceases to read at all - I just get a black screen. It makes no difference if I play it straight through or go in through the chapter selection menu - the further I go the worse it is. Naturally when I take one of these discs back to the place of purchase they try it out on their player - and it works without a hiccup....

This happens intermittenly, sometimes with rental DVDs but more usually with brand-new, straight out of the pack, fully licensed DVDs (nothing suss!) Some are fine, others really bad. I thought maybe condensation or something like, so I - tried playing one of our older discs through - it handled it with not so much as a flicker, then when I changed over to the newly purchased one - disaster. I've tried the obvious - cleaning them, it does not make any difference.

any ideas ppls? (please, my chiropracter will thank you!)

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Since the problem is consistent, I'd suggest that the laser assembly is defective. Since the unit is under warranty, Kenwood should swap yours for a fresh unit.

3. Kerryn R

Kerryn R Auditioning

Ok, thanks Jack - that's exactly the type of informtation I was after, as it is possible that the problem will not manifest itself immediately and the repairer will give me the brush-off. I might take one of the problem discs in with me, but I'm reluctant to leave my brand-new copies of LOTR or Master & Commander in the hands of the the service centre staff......

I'll let you know how we go.

Cheers, K.

PS. The first cannon-shot sequence in M & C - stunning! We got that far at least before the player started mucking up. Can't wait to see the rest of the movie - sigh.