Kenwood center channel distortion?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AaronG, Dec 16, 2001.

1. AaronG

AaronG Stunt Coordinator

Hi guys,

I've got a Kenwood vr-407 receiver. I find that the center channel gets distorted when there is high output especially in the higher frequencies. It's not the speakers (I've replaced them since I noticed the problem). Does anyone know what could cause this?

Thanks,

Aaron

2. AaronG

AaronG Stunt Coordinator

Anyone?[​IMG]

3. Robert McClanahan

Robert McClanahan Stunt Coordinator

Yes,you are overdriving your center channel.Most movie soundtrack information comes through the center channel and you might want to check your center level on the Kenwood.I have fried a few center channels in the past and it wasnt because of the speaker.It was because I was underpowering it.If you can hear the distortion then you are right on the brink of frying your tweeter(it goes first)so be careful.

4. Lin Weiwen

Lin Weiwen Stunt Coordinator

Looks like mine JBL centre is suffering from the same problem too!! Distortion occurs with voices that exude high frequencies. I have lowered the spr level down with the calibration on the receiver and yet the problem still persists!

Okay...Just would like to know. At what level do you guys set your centre spkr via the test tone/calibration on your receiver? Mine is now set at 'small' at 4db and the distortion is still discernible. I am afraid I might have to start scouting for a new centre spkr.

Comments and suggestions please...

5. AaronG

AaronG Stunt Coordinator

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses.

Robert, I've got the center set to +1 and I don't listen to it at more than -30. Do you still think I'm over driving it?

Aaron

6. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I have driven my JBL N-Center way beyond -30 on my VR-407 many times with no problems. In fact reference is around -20 and all my speakers are clean as a whistle.

Do you hear this distortion only on certain material?

Because it is not uncommon for DVD's to have flaws in their soundtracks, there are a few movies I know of that have some center speaker(dialog distortion).

7. AaronG

AaronG Stunt Coordinator

Sean,

It's on just about everything. I just watched JP III, which has a great dts track, and every time there is a prolonged sound from the center (like the Spino's roar) there is distortion.

Aaron

8. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Ifen I were you I would try to eleminate all possible causes. Try a new spaeker, I think you stated you did this. Try one that is larger and can handle the power better perhaps. Then if no luck try a new speaker wire on that channel. Route it diffently this time! If still no luck try a new/different digital cable. Switch to optical or coax. Is it only noticable with a DVD or is it there with AM/FM or CD from other inputs. If its there on all sources and you have tryed all wire and speaker changes your reciever has a bad amplified channel.

Wes

9. Robert McClanahan

Aron the numbers you gave me mean nothing.The fact is that you are getting caught in the upgrade trap.It starts with underpowering your speakers hence the distortion in your center channel.First you buy a more powerful amp,then a bigger center channel and so on and so on.Different speaker cable wont solve your problem,a different speaker might but more power OR BETTER POWER will cure it.

10. David A. Frattaroli

David A. Frattaroli Stunt Coordinator

So you only hear it a high volumes? I had this problem with my Denon 3200 but it happened at all volumes.

11. Gustavo_R

Gustavo_R Auditioning

Aaron,

What does the distortion in your channel sound like? I'm having a similar problem. Is your distortion very extreme?

12. AaronG

AaronG Stunt Coordinator

Gustavo,

It isn't extream, the sound almost crackles a little bit. It's almost like a little bit of static. It's just not a clean sound.

Robert,

I'm a little confused by "underpowering". It's a 100w speaker with a 100w channel driving it. My old Kenwood was the same receiver except just prologic, and I had no problems.

Wes,

I noticed the problem when I bought the 407. I tried new wire first, then the new speaker. I get the same thing with optical or coaxial. I got a 6 year warranty with the receiver, is it time for a trip to the shop?

Thanks,

Aaron

13. Robert McClanahan

Aaron,if your center channel is rated to handle only 100 watts then I would upgrade your center channel speaker to a model that can handle peaks of at least 200watts.A very efficient center channel manufacturer is Klipsch.Their centers have efficiency ratings of 95db and up for 1watt one meter pink noise.You want to know what your Kenwood center amps dynamic power output is.If its not in the owners manual then call or e-mail Kenwood and they will tell you.You are overdriving your center/underpowering=1%distortion=blown center channel.Lower powered receivers need efficient 8ohm speakers.

14. Robert McClanahan

Your power supply may not be the best(no offense)either.When you fire up the five internal amps it draws on the power supply.Ask Kenwood what your receivers power output is with all five channels driven.I will bet its way under 100watts.

15. Lin Weiwen

Lin Weiwen Stunt Coordinator

Aaron, I have 'cured' my centre channel distortion by lowering the fronts(FR,CEN,FL) to 0db via the output level trim adjustment on my Harman/Kardon receiver. It sounds fine now. You might want to give that a try too.

16. Sean Conklin

17. Robert McClanahan

If Kenwood states 100watts peak power then the amp puts out way less than 100watts continously.

18. Jason Wolters

Jason Wolters Stunt Coordinator

I have Kenwood VR507. I have noticed a bit of "distortion" in the center before, but have found it to be the DVD. Some do it and some don't. It usually is heard while listening to dialog. -27 is refereence for me and I have no problems. Just using a 100 watt Pioneer center too.

19. Sean Conklin