What's new

Kenwood 8017 MP3 car deck - can't get faceplate to flip anymore (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Talk about frustrating, I have the Kenwood 8017 MP3 car deck, and it has a face plate that can flip and fold to conceal the face plate. Well, when I press on the face plate release, I don't get the flipping action, it's basically stuck and this means I can't change out a CD. This is a major pain, and I have no idea how to get the mechanism to flip the face plate out again. Any suggestions?

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
That does suck! I have the 6017 which I think is the same one as yours just doesn't play mp3s. I could be wrong though. Mine's never had a problem with the flip (I'm assuming yours isn't motorized). The release button is a simple mechanism so maybe its just stuck. Maybe blowing air on it could loosen it up? Its just an idea if tugging on it while the button is depressed does not work. At the very worst, however, is that you have to completely remove the player from your car and try to remove the faceplate via the backside. But, i've never installed one or seen it in pieces so I could be way off base ;)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The button is simply a release from the edge that keep the flip-face mechanism in place. Once released, the springs should slide the flip-face out and turn up. It's not doing the first part, and it's just stuck. I thought it might be heat-related (it got hot, and was stuck, and then when the day cooled, the mechanism worked again. But now, it's stuck no matter what the temperature). At least I have around 9 CD albums in MP3 format on the CD-R that's stuck in there. I haven't gone totally nuts listening to the same 9 albums (good thing the random button works still). It would stink if I have to take out the car deck and send it in for repair. It was hard enough installing it "cleanly" all by myself.

Users who are viewing this thread