Kenwood 6070 -> Yamaha 5590 -> Harman Kardon 525

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jack_V, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Jack_V

Jack_V Extra

Wow, what an experience.

First I tried a Kenwood 6070, a lot of features for the price, warm sound but lacking in punch.

Saleman suggested I trade up to a Yamaha 5590 (1300). It has more features but still lacks punch, and has a higher pitched sound that I did not like.

Back to the store, now a HK 525 is suggested. Took it home, and out of the box. You could feel the quality just putting it on the shelf. It is one heavy receiver.

Sounds great, warm sounding, and powerful. Easy on screen setup, even the input layout is clean.

Much much better than the other models.

2. Rick_FL

Rick_FL Stunt Coordinator

it should be powerful, it sucks up over 1000watts, hahah

anyways, glad you found something you like. HK still makes good stuff, although their quality has declined in some areas, like aesthetics(cheap feeling volume knob and the big gaudy buttons) and some internal parts like heatsinks. They have always maintained their sound quality, which is what counts.

3. Jack_V

Jack_V Extra

I agree on the looks, I think they could be better. In fact that is why I never considered HK in the first place.Also seeing the Made in China label made me wonder, and a fan?

But the salesman said if I don't like it, he'd be very surprised and give a full refund.

I liked it. Heck, when I turned it on it dimmed my lights, that's power! Used it for a few hours last night did not hear the fan.

Movies in 5.1 sound great, but put a cd in and play it in stereo mode, amazing clarity, and punch.

4. Rick_FL

Rick_FL Stunt Coordinator

the fan only cuts on if the thing gets to hot. it's thermally controlled. as to made in china, what isn't nowadays? hehe. More and more high end audio equipment is coming out of china. Cheap labor, state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities