Kenwood 6070 S&V article

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kevinkall, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Kevinkall

Kevinkall Second Unit

Does anyone know where I can find the Sound & Vision review on the Kenwood 6070? I've looked all over and I can't seem to find it. I have a friend that is interested in it and I wanted him to read it. Any help would be great!

2. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I don't think the report is up on any website yet but maybe someone who has the report can fax it to you. I do have that issue so if you want any info from it I can give it to you but I have no way of sending you the report itself.

FROM THE REPORT:

HIGH POINTS:
    Solid six-channel amplification.
    THX Select certification.
    Nifty RF-enhanced remote control.

LOW POINTS:
    No onscreen displays.
    Confusing setup options.

The Kenwood's performance was uniformly very good to excellent.

6 channels driven (8ohms) 92 watts (19.5dBW)

3. Kevinkall

Kevinkall Second Unit

Thanks for the info! I remember seeing the link to it posted on here, but upon doing a search I couldn't find it. I was just hoping that someone still knew where to find it.

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

He really liked the remote, which is the RS Kameleon, apparently.

5. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Subscribers just received the issue within the last day or so. It should be on newstands within a week or two...

6. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Colin, Chuck, The VR-6070 is last years model & the S&V Review was in the November 2002 issue. This model had an RF Remote not the Kameleon type. This years Kenwood models start with "70" (VR-7060, VR-7070, VR-7080) & can you tell me which model they just tested? because I'd be interested in seeing a report on the new one & comparing it to the test from last year. Thanks

7. Chuck Kent

Ah! Good catch! I thought we were talking about the latest issue. There is indeed a Kenwood receiver review in it. When I get home I'll check on it...

8. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

i thought i read last night in one of the reviews that this unit actually clipped at 35w into 6 channels, or something like that...ill check tonight and post on it later, I could be wrong though...

Rich

9. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

It had a limiter, noted when driving 5 channels, it clamped the output to 35w each after the first second or so.

1 channel was 75w? something like that.

THX Select seems to be much different from the other flavors.

But this is not what the poster asked about - this recently reviewed model, I mean.

10. Rajeev_s

Rajeev_s Stunt Coordinator

11. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

SURROUND SOUND:

Reference Volume Level For The 6070 is with the Volume Control set to -8dB

OUTPUT AT CLIPPING (1 KHz into 8/4 ohms)
    1 channel driven 121/203 W (21/23 dBW)
    6 channels driven (8ohms) 92 W (19.5 dBW)

DISTORTION at 1 watt (THD+N, 1KHz)
    8/4 ohms 0.03/0.03%

NOISE (A-wtd)
    -72.2 dB

EXCESS NOISE (with sine tone)
    16-bit (EN16) +7.5db

Frequency Reponse
    20 Hz to 20 KHz +0, -0.3 dB

Subwoofer-output frequency
    approximately 18dB/octive rolloff -6dB point of 79 Hz

High-pass-filter frequency response
    12 dB/octive rolloff below -3dB point of 80 Hz

Maximum unclipped subwoofer output
    (at reference volume setting) 7.5 volts

Subwoofer distortion
    (From 6 channel, 30 HZ, 0 dBFS signal; master volume at reference level; subwoofer trim set to 0) 0.03%

The Kenwood VR-6070's performance was uniformly very good to excellent. Power was better than advertised. Noise in our dithered-signal tests was about 3 dB greater than the theoretical ideal, which seems about par for midprice receivers. The sole anomaly was the subwoofer output's low-pass filter response, which measured a bit less steep than the 24-dB-per-octive required for THX certification. This is a mere curiosity, since the difference would be inaudible in the vast majority of systems.

12. Chuck Kent

I'm always a bit nervous posting direct quotes from a current issue of any magazine (copyrights and all) because they want to sell them at the newstand.

But a few items from the new (Nov. '03) Sound & Vision Kenwood VR-7080 review...

Using the 1 kHz reference, 5 channels driven clipped @ 35watts/ch into 8 ohms. Quite a big change from last year's 6070 Kenwood which sells for the same price. (The single channel measurement was quite similar though. So there's obviously something changed since last year.)

Frequency response and noise were more or less in the same ballpark. A couple numbers did stand out though. The 7080 is quieter in DD (comparing the Excess noise tests) by 4.3 db. But, the 6070 is quieter thru the multichannel analog input by 6.2 db.

If I were buying one or the other, the 6070's much better power into 5 channels would likely be deciding factor for me. When playing surround movies and music, the 6070 would be capable of playing 4.1 db louder than the new model...

13. Kevinkall

Kevinkall Second Unit

That's for all the reply's!

14. Mike Up

Mike Up Second Unit

Funny how these THX receivers are suffering from low power output, high noise, and other performance issues. It seems as if the THX stamp is really just guaranteeing that you get their DSP and that's it. The Kenwood 7080 and low end Onkyos are a good example of this.

15. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Mike, You just may be onto something. Maybe it's THX give us some money & you can use our Logo because as you pointed out it doesn't seem that most of these receivers would have ever passed THX's own tests a few years ago.

16. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

I am curious as to why the 6070 put out 92 watts per channel with all 6 channels, but the new on could only manage the 35 or so in the current S&V?

DId they decontent the new one?

Artie

17. Kevinkall

Kevinkall Second Unit

So the 6070 is better then the new model? I thought that they were the same just different colors with different remotes. WIERD.

18. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

It will be interesting to see if Kenwood responds to the test. Remember all the fuss over the Sony receiver when S&V din't even test it with all channels driven.
    So, it's either one of 3 things.
    1. The bean counters got them to buy cheaper amps.
    2. S&V had a bad sample
    3. S&V changed how they test receivers (But I doubt it)

For now, I'm not going to tell anyone that asks me to get a Kenwood. Looks like the HK 230, Pioneer 912 & for a really low priced receiver the Panasonic 100. I am hearing good things though about the new JVC 8030 compared to the JVC 8xxx series of the past & I hope S&V does a test on it.