What's new

Kenwood 6070 and Seperate Amps.. (1 Viewer)

Hi, all. I have a Kenwood 6070 and a 6.1 surround setup of Energy Connosseur C-3s and an SVS Ultra. (I will get 7.1 eventually even though i cant buy 1 C-3 alone.) (shoot;-)
Everything sounds great (especially flipping the center upside down and angling it downwards + setting the speakers to the smallest setting possible.)
I am interested in getting seperate amplifiers for an eventual push into a total of 7 channels of amplification. (so i can effectively jump to better receivers etc.) I essentially am taking "baby steps" into the seperates realm :)
The thing is, is that i have no idea what kind of amplification i can get for the C-3s. I have no idea about what brands are good, i hear Rotel, KEF, Aragon, Accurus, and i have no idea what would be appropriate for my use.

I am willing to spend up to $400 (ideal)give or take a hundred per used stereo amp (less is always better but i wont compromise myself;-) that would work my way into 7 channels (preferably used products.) ( I also am not against using all mono-blocks as long as each one costs no more than $200 per unit)

The C-3s rate 125 Watts (probably doesnt matter right?) so how much wattage is best put into each speaker to maximize potential? Also amps I hope arent "bright" or "warm" etc. right? if so i want to get as neutral or at least leaning towards "warm" sound as possible (if such descriptions are applicable to amplifiers ;-)

Are Pro amps a good value? or are they not appropriate for my use? and also, There is one product that seems perfect, Marantz MA6100 125 watts per monoblock amp. Is this product any good or are there any other better values? I am open to all suggestions.

My final comment is that i would prefer not to have an extra channel going to waste so I am not too sure of getting a total of 4 stereo amps., Is there any way i can just reach 7 channels solid? Or just buy 7 monoblocks? I would prefer not buying a 3 channel amp, but if its a good value Ill look into it. Thanks for any help offered, -Chris-

I also hear the monoblock amp IRD MB-100 is good, too bad its like $270 + shipping each on a website I saw, I hope i can find a used one if there are no better values thought up. -Chris-

Chris I have a 6070 mated to a Parasound HCA 855 and a Crown K2 driving an Adire Tumult. The Parasound is rated at 125 watts into 4 ohms and 85 watts into 8 ohms and can typically be found used at Audiogon for around $400, I got mine there for $350. The Parasound drives 5 of my channels (Gr Research AV1s for surround duty and AV2s for LCR) especially since the front channels have a 4 ohm impedance and the Kenwood powers the surround back which is an Axiom QS8 (works beatifully in this application). Seems to be a great match as my room is larger than yours with several openings and I can fill the room with ease. Later on you could get a couple of mono amplifiers to drive your L and R channels. I never have any issues with shut down or overheating.

Hey thanks for the info, I am also considering Acurus amps at the moment, i want to go withincrements, so I am deciding to go with buying a three channel amp first or possibly going with 3 stereo amplifiers. (Acurus or something to that effect. Im still real hazy on what to get, Im swinging back and forth between many options. So many amp choices.

JackS

Supporting Actor
Chris- Norh Le Amps are the same amp as the MB 100's from IRD. They cost $200ea or three for $500. Not sure about shipping charges if any. If interested, Check out the Norh website. Also a little patiences may be required if deciding to purchase these amps. Norh is located in Thialand and shipment could be by boat. Also if interested, contact Namphung (real cutie) for all details regarding warranty and shipment which is handled in the US by IRD(could be wrong) I think. Sorry to sound like a salesman but, I do own 3 Le's along with a couple of Aragon's and can attest to the real value here. Look for reviews on Audigon and keep in mind as you read that the DC blocking caps are no longer routinly installed and are only installed as a no cost extra per request as this was one of the main complaints. Working within your budget and price range, this is an excellent choice. Full details and specs on Le Amps are at the Norh wesite. There is a chance that these amps are already in the US as mine came from a company called Buffolo Electronics which I presume is in New York.

I have decided against the Norh Le Amps for now, im pretty certain im going to go with something like used Acurus'. 100wattsX3 or 200WattsX3? what would be the benefit of adding 200X3 to my receiver?

I also am wondering if i can get a better bang for the buck then the Acurus, I heard of a used amp named Charo thats supposed to be good at 300WattsX3, but i really really am pretty sure i wont need that much power, anywhere between 100-200Watts per channel i hope is appropriated., Thanks for all suggestions so far, im new to this sort of thing!

JackS

Supporting Actor
Chris- Sorry, I think I gave you some bum scoop anyway. The original Le Amp is no longer available and I now beleive that the deal price on them was $750 for three or $299 each. The MB-100 from IRD appears to be the best deal now. Maybe a used amp would be a good way to save. Check out some used priced at Audiogon. Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks