Kenwood 5900 DVD Changer vs. Sony DVP-875?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Simon Ngan, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Simon Ngan

Simon Ngan Stunt Coordinator

I currently have a Sony DVP-850 and a Panasonic RP82. The Sony is filling up and I'm hoping to sell it then get a new changer (300/400 discs). Which one do you recommend?

I'm using SLinke and DVD Lobby to control 850 so I don't use the Disc Explorer at all. I assume with the Kenwood, I should be able to do the same?

I've heard the Kenwood can also daisy-chain, but is this for real? Does it have all the inputs (components and digital audio) for the slave changer?

I bought the Panasonic to fill up the gap (Mp3 playback, progressive scan) but how's the Kenwood picture quality compared to RP82? I really like the picture quality of RP82. I have a Sony 34XBR800 HDTV.

Thanks for your suggestions,

Simon

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Simon, the Kenwood '5900M does not show the chroma bug, while all Sony progressive-scan player seemingly do. Therefore, you might find the Kenwood to give a better picture. Furthermore, the '5900M handles the DVD-Audio format, unlike the Sony 'CX875P (the Sony doesn't do SACD either). The Kenwood changer is the more expensive one, but if you can swing it, I say go for it.

I don't know if the Kenwood unit can be daisy chained, but you might check it out on crutchfield.com, as this is a very informative web site.

3. Simon Ngan

Keith,

Thanks for your information. I asked around for the Kenwood 5900 but nobody carry them anymore. The 2 stores I called, they had sales around Jan/Feb and I was told all inventory was gone. Can't get them anymore.

The same story applies to Sony 875 except there was no sale but nobody has any either.

Is everyone stay away from DVD changers? I definitely like it and will continue use it.

Thanks,

Simon

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Simon, glad to help. Last time I checked, crutchfield.com still had the Kenwood '5900M for $800. Check their web site. Also, Tweeter stores had them in the past, so if you have one in your area, stop in, if you haven't already.

I am surprised that you having difficulty tracking down the Sony changer, as it is a current model. At least I haven't heard anything about it being discontinued. I know that Sony will be releasing a progressive-scan megachanger that will play SACDs later this year. Perhaps the 'CX875P is being phased out as a result. In any event, you should be able to find the 'CX875P through crutchfield.com, and I have seen it at Tweeter. Also call OneCall (1-800-340-4770), J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180), and Oade Bros. (1-229-229-0093 or 1-229-228-4480). All three are authorized Sony dealers, and they all discount.

5. Simon Ngan

Keith,

Thanks for the store information. I'm from Canada so I'll try around here first. I haven't dig deep enough though for the changer, I was just looking around the other day but I was surprised (didn't see a DVD changer anywhere, not even a demo). I did remember the sale that one store had around last Jan early Feb had the 5900 for around $1200 Canadian. I thought I could wait as my 200 changer still got room. In little as 2 months, I'm running out of space now [​IMG]

I'm leaning toward the Kenwood as it has 400+3 capacity. It also has the DCDi processing which I like a lot.

Thanks again,

Simon

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Simon, no problem. If you do go for the Kenwood changer, let us know how you like it.