Kenwood 509's Cinema EQ - What does it do?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martin Fontaine, Nov 18, 2001.

1. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

I notice that the sound seems louder when I enable Cinema EQ so I end up putting the volume dial at a lower setting than I would without.
    Living in an apartment, I set the volume so I can hear the dialog ok, so that when it gets louder, it doesn't disturb the neighbors too much. The Night Mode is always on too so that disks that support it won't go too loud.
    I know that DTS doesn't support DRC (Which is what the night mode uses) so of course, the diff between Dialog and action is higher on DTS.
    My question about the Cinema EQ is: Will turning it on or off affect the volume jumps or is it totally related to something else and that leaving it on or off makes no difference on that front.
    I've been using this system for a few days now, and I am really happy with it, I can tell the difference between AC3 and DTS like Night and Day! And tonight's Enterprise was either broadcast in 5.1 or DPL2 really makes a difference!

2. Albert M

Albert M Stunt Coordinator

This is what www.kenwoodusa.com says.
    Cinema EQ: enhances bass response for films and smoothes the blend between front speakers and subwoofer.