1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Kenwood 509 or 510 is the diff really worth the extra $$$?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martin Fontaine, Nov 7, 2001.

1. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

Next week, I'm buying a new receiver. I want to get the Kenwood 509. But lately I heard that when I upgrade my speakers, I have to be careful to take speakers that match in timbre. (For now I have the plastic speakers that came with the Kenwood HTB-353) The 510 has a thing called "THX Timbre Matching" so would that be useful to me? Especially if I wanna upgrade my speakers one at a time.
    Between the 509 and the 510 what are the differences?
    Will the 510 sound any better?
    And what are those THX options (Decorrelation, bass peak etc) for really? Are they anything I would wanna use.
    So, is the 510 really worth the price difference?
    [Edited last by Martin Fontaine on November 07, 2001 at 08:55 PM]

2. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

It doesn't matter which receiver you get, for home theater you want your speakers timbre matched PERIOD. So when/if you upgrade your speakers you want to at LEAST make sure the front 3 are voice/timbre matched (same manufacturer, same series).
    The 509 has 100 Watts per Channel, the 510 has 110 watts per channel.
    The 510 has THX mode which tones down the brightness and gives you a more theater like experience.
    I believe but am not sure both the 509 and 510 have pre-outs, for adding an amplifier, and I also believe both have component switching.
    I have installed and set up and listened to both, but not enough to really tell any difference in sound quality.Of course the 510 has the THX goodies and if I had the extra money I would go with it!
    I assume you are planning on upgrading your speakers, because the HTB speakers you have now will definitely not do either receiver justice.
    I think both of these receivers are very good for the money, I am a Kenwood guy myself and use the 407, and would love to have the 509 or 510.
    How much of a difference in price are these 2 receivers?
    ------------------
    Sean
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

3. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I wanted to add that once you get one of these receivers, you're going to have it a long time and you will be glad you have it when you do get all your speakers upgraded!
    ------------------
    Sean
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

4. LewisD

LewisD Extra

I have the 509; and the only real differance between the 509 and 510, is that the 510 is THX certified and has slightly higher quality components to meet THX standards.
    Unless you have a moderatly scaled home theater, and/or have your audio at reference level, the THX certification is a waste of money IMHO.
    I would go with the VR-509.
    Check out www.etronics.com. They have the VR-509 for $289.99, the cheapest I've seen...

5. Evan A

Evan A Stunt Coordinator

Just remember everyperson non hi-fi geek who sees your stuff, will be WAY more impressed with THX than with the 509
    ------------------
    --------------------
    Evan Adams
    [email protected]
    --------------------

6. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

The price diff is 215$cdn...
    But add taxes, and the Extended Service Plan (Which I almost always take for equipment I plan to keep for a long time, my VCR and Portable CD Players are perfect example of extended service plans that more than paid for themselves) Since the Extended thing is probably more for a 700$ receiver than it is for a 485$, then we are looking at almost a 300$ Price diffence... So I guess I should go for the 509 and be able to afford better speakers sooner...
    I am looking to spend maybe 200-300$ for mains, 150-200$ for a center and another 200$ for the rears. (Once the new receiver is paid for of course) I know this might sound strange, but the sub is the only piece of my HTB I don't plan to upgrade for now, I live in an appartment so I want good 5.1 sound, clarity and precision of sound is way more important than volume for now. Considering the sub is the only thing the neighbors will have problems with, my HTB Sub is good enough for now.
    No, the 509 has no pre-outs, but I'm not gonna "Go Separate" so it's not important for me.