Kenwood 507 losing digital audio input?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Kyle, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Jeff Kyle

Jeff Kyle Auditioning

I just replaced my (now-dead) Technics KX-930 receiver with a Kenwood VR-507, chosen because it was in my price range (~$300) and because it was the only one in that range that featured two coax digital audio inputs, which would mean I wouldn't have to manually switch wires when going between my two DVD players. (One's got better quality, the other does multiregion, MP3, etc.)

I got it from Crutchfield and set it up, and had a movie playing while I did so I could make sure I was hooking up the correct wires for each speaker. I noticed that it was occasionally "clicking" - the same click that it makes when you turn the receiver on, and sometimes makes when switching inputs. (The same click that my Technics would make whenever flipping between stereo and surround mode.) This was while playing a 6-channel DVD.

I figured it was due to me hooking up the speakers while running (quietly) and didn't pay it much attention, but when it was all set up, it would actually click, losing the audio for a second, then come back like nothing had happened. Once or twice, it even lost the connection completely and stayed off, and switching to another input and back would get it working again.

I tried switching cables (I just use regular ol' cheapo RCA cables, my thinking being that it's a digital signal, as long as it gets there it should matter, and they've worked perfectly with the Technics for a couple years) and that made no difference. Called Kenwood, they figured it must be a bad receiver. Called Crutchfield, they agreed and shipped me out a new one. (Great service by them, BTW.)

Received the new one, and took pains to leave it unplugged while making all the connections, fired it up, and tried it out. It played the first forty minutes of "Sleepy Hollow" perfectly, then clicked, and clicked three more times in the next few minutes. I tried a few other DVDs and it behaved for a while, then started clicking on another DVD.

I got fed up and bought an Audio Research coax digital audio cable, tried that... it seems to help, but I've still gotten a click on two different DVDs.

The clicks are not repeatable, in other words, if it clicks at a certain point, I can rewind and replay the scene without a click. They don't seem to happen at a particular volume level. I'm confident that the receiver is not faulty, obviously the cable is good, and I believe the DVD player is not the problem. (A couple-year-old Toshiba.) The speakers shouldn't be an issue - PSBs for everything but the surrounds, which are Polk. I never had an issue like this with the Technics.

Has anyone seen a problem like this before? Is this likely to be just a Kenwood-specific problem? If there was some sort of "fix", I'd prefer to stick with the Kenwood as the next-cheapest receiver that has two coax digital audio inputs is $500... but if this is a known Kenwood problem (I didn't see anything when searching the forum) then I'll switch it for a different model, I was thinking of the equivalent Pioneer, and just manually switch the audio cable between the two. Not ideal, but I can't live with the receiver randomly clicking at me!

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    The main reason it clicks is because when you switch menus on DVDs and such, there is no digital information sent via the digital connection, so the reciever just does no processing. Once the menu is fully loaded, and there is digital information sent, the reciever clicks back on and starts processing. You do lose a couple milliseconds of audio, but its normal..

Try going into 'INPUT MODE' on the reciever, and swithc it to DIGITAL MANUAL or omsething like that. I *think* that MIGHT solve the problem, but not entirely sure...

My Kenwood VR407 deoes this too, but not during the movie

3. Jeff Kyle

Jeff Kyle Auditioning

Well, it doesn't click when going through the menus, only when it first gets a signal from the DVD (for as long as the receiver is on), then randomly during the movie.
    I've tried switching it to Digital Manual but as the manual says, it will still change if it feels that it should - and it does, when it clicks when in Manual mode, it then returned to Digital Auto...
    I don't mind the click when it turns on, but when it clicks during a movie (and loses audio while it clicks) it's very frustrating... especially when I'm pretty sure that I have everything set right... [​IMG]

4. Jeff Sch.

Jeff Sch. Stunt Coordinator

Check the wire in the back of the reciever and speakers and make sure none of them are touching each other. My friend had the same problem and is was due to the center channel wires barely touching each other. This would cause the recoever to sort of short out or overload.

Also if you have a coaxial cable from dvd to reciever, set the input to D-AUTO. In manual you wont get digital sound.

Hope this helps

5. Jeff Kyle

Jeff Kyle Auditioning

I'm thinking it's something to do with my player... my Toshiba 2008 may be the culprit... it always worked perfectly before, but it definitely doesn't like the Kenwood. For example, I put in the Termator 2 SE disc, 9 seconds into the movie it clicked. Popped it into my Apex player, it played for as long as I tried (~45 minutes) with nary a click/audio dropout from the receiver.

I'm borrowing a newer Toshiba player now, I'm going to try that tomorrow... if so then maybe I'll be investing in a new DVD player as well as a new receiver... sigh. At least that'll give me a DVD player for the bedroom!

6. Jeff Kyle

Jeff Kyle Auditioning

Well, I've got a Toshiba 2109 hooked into it now (temporarily) and so far it seems to be doing well. It does click through the menus as NickSo mentioned, which my own Tosh 2008 doesn't do, nor does my Apex. So, obviously different players send different amounts of data during the menus and such - the clicking is, I believe, it jumping from stereo to surround mode, which my old Technics receiver could only do manually so never would have done without me telling it to.
    So, I'm going to try this Tosh some more and see if I can get it to click. If so, I'll blame the player (or rather, the player/receiver combination), check with Toshiba for a firmware upgrade (not likely to happen, I know), and probably use this as an excuse to get a progressive-scan player (probably a 3750) in antipation of getting a nice widescreen TV in a couple years. [​IMG]

7. Butch C

Butch C Second Unit

I have the VR507 and have never come across this problem...menus or not...sumthins up with your connections...sure its not a sub auto off?

8. Jeff Kyle

Jeff Kyle Auditioning

Everything's pointing to it being my old Toshiba 2008 that's the problem... Disappointing as it has always been a fantastic player, never a problem with any disc, never had audio out of sync, etc... I suspect it'll still work fine with other receivers but some combination of that player and the Kenwood is causing the dropouts... I just watched JP3 all the way through on the newer Toshiba player without a problem, and am now playing Deep Red and listening for clicks but so far so good... definitely a bizarre problem.

I'm confident it's not my connections, everything works all the time except when playing off the old Toshiba.