Kenwood 1080VR out Kenwood VR-509 in

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Cowmeadow, Dec 24, 2001.

1. Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow Second Unit

Just had to get a new receiver, Damn the bad luck. I stayed with the Kenwood Brand. Hey, It’s what I know. The Kenwood 1080VR developed a nasty problem a couple of days ago.

Every time I turned of the DVD player that was attached via digital coax, there was an enormous and extremely loud thump. I believe a capacitor on the digital side must have gone bad. I decided to replace the receiver, because I was afraid I might blow the speakers or the sub (yes, it was that loud).

I just set up the VR-509, and what a giant pain in the ass it was. If I hadn’t set up a 507 unit at work a couple of weeks ago, this might have gone back to the store. Setting up the receiver was a piece-of-cake, it’s the remote that just about drove me nuts. Unlike the 507 unit, the 509 has a LCD remote. I have the Sony CD and the Hitachi DVD programmed in so far, I’ll tackle the TV and Projector next. So far, I am satisfied with the audio performance of this unit, it seems to have plenty of power and clean audio production. More critical listening tonight. Oh yeah, I got the unit for $259.00 at Circuit City – Open Box, not surprising given the complexity of the remote.

Am I the only person to have struggled with this unit?

2. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Once you get the hang of the RF LCD remote you will LOVE it!

3. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Sorry Sean, I'm with Bill here. For my 509, I switched to a One-For-All Cinema 7 universal remote for $25. I'm MUCH happier...