What's new

Kenwood 1080VR-Coaxial Digital In ? (1 Viewer)

RudyN

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rudy Nunez
I currently have a Kenwood 1080VR and am in the process of upgrading to a Kenwood VR-6060. I'm thinking about giving my g/f the 1080VR since she seems to be getting the HT "bug". It has both optical and coaxial inputs for DD 5.1(it doesn't do DTS). It mentions in the manual though something about needing a RF Digital Demodulator if connecting a Laserdisc player through the coaxial input. Am I to assume that she would need one *only* for a Laserdisc player and not a DVD player? If so, it would save her some money as it seems DVD players with both optical and coaxial outputs cost $100+. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Rudy

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
Rudy, You are correct the 1080VR will do Dolby digital 5.1 with a dvd player. You would only need the demodulator for laserdisc. The Kenwood 1080vr was my first DD receiver . I paid $400 ,($800 list), for it new in 1997, I bought it along with my first dvd player a Toshiba sd2006 the same year, 500 bucks for that one. Things have gotten much better and way cheaper since then. I gave mine away to my brother, who is almost as rabid a home theater enthusiast as me now.

RudyN

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rudy Nunez
Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to save my g/f some money and if I can give her the 1080VR when I upgrade, she'd only need to buy a DVD player and she is all set. The 1080VR was also my 1st receiver(I also paid $400 for it, but in '98) and it's worked very well. Never had any problems with it. Once again, thank you.

Rudy

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks