Kentucky Fried Movie...pixellation

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Clinton McClure, Sep 30, 2001.

1. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    My Kentucky Fried Movie just crapped out on me. Film at eleven...
    I start watching the WS version and get lots of pixellation, sound dropout, and eventual lock-up. It is only on the WS (the P&S plays fine) [​IMG] with the problems beginning near the middle of chapter 3 and eventually it locks-up about 10 seconds into Catholic High School Girls In Trouble. [​IMG] The disc played fine when I got it, but I have not watched it in 6 months or longer. The play surface has a milky haze forming near the center of the disc (looks like a shitty glue job or layer separation) and you can see the cover art through the play side. (I don't know how common that is, but it's a first for me.)
    The problem is repeatable and always in the same place. If I try to skip past chapter 5, I get lock-up with a blank screen. Looks like coaster city now...
    Anyone else have this one crap out on you?
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

2. James_A

James_A Stunt Coordinator

Yup.... my KFM is crapping out as well, same probelm. Some else posted here a few weeks ago with the same complaint. Coincidentally, there is a new case for KFM.... wonder if they know that it's got problems?
    Jim
    ------------------
    [email protected]
    Want to hold up a bank in Latin?
    "Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam."
    (I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.)

3. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    Sounds like a case of the dreaded "DVD rot". I had something similar happen to my copy of Handel's "The Messiah." I emailed Image Entertainment and they exchanged my copy. Maybe you should try emailing whoever put out KFM.

4. James_A

Good idea... and it's Anchor Bay, so they're pretty nice as far as a studio goes....
    Jim
    BTW: I'm from E. Fishkill... so, Hi, Neighbor [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [email protected]
    "Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam."
    (I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.)

5. Clinton McClure

Supporter

Clint
    Very good idea indeed. I also noticed the new cover a few months ago at Best Buy and figured it was either a 2nd pressing or a cheap marketing scheme to sell more copies.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

6. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    Just a clarification: the full frame version of KFM is open matte, not "P&S".
    Rob
    ------------------
    "That suits me down to the ground."

7. Casey Neutron

Casey Neutron Stunt Coordinator

Mine's still working okay, but if I hold the disc up to the light I can see tiny pinholes of light through it. A defect of extraordinary magnitude!

8. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    Thanks. I'd better check my copy as well. I haven't played it in a while.

9. Wes Ray

Wes Ray Supporting Actor

When I decide to purchase this, I'll be sure to watch out for this problem. Thanks for starting this thread.
    You have our gratitude.

10. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Okay, so there seems to be an old version with one cover that goes bad over time, and a possibly-fixed version that has a new cover.
    Can anyone A) say for sure that the one in the new cover is fixed? and, B) show the old vs. new covers?
    I've been thinking of buying this, but now I'm very wary!
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis

11. James_A

I sent a note to Anhor Bay... we shall see what they say (if anything). I was wondering about the cover art change, because it really didn't make sense, as there was nothing offensive about the original one. Oh well, KFM is a great great DVD. Sorry about the P&S mistake... I was unaware of that. Still it was originally projected in widescreen, so I want to watch it in that version.
    Jim
    PS...
    As far as A/V around here, I generally go to CC or BB for DVD's, Radioshack for A/V stuff (I'm cheap). The only other option is a bit away, in Danbury there is a Tweeters, Etc. which is very nice and has some higher end stuff.
    Really, the best deal that I've gotten recently has been from CC (Circuit City) where they put a Phillips DirecTV with Tivo on clearance or promo for $99! What a find!
    ------------------
    [email protected]

12. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

quote: Just a clarification: the full frame version of KFM is open matte, not "P&S".[/quote]
    Either way you describe it, it's not OAR. It's MAR.
    At least it also has the Widescreen version, too. OAR rules!
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [Edited last by David Lambert on October 03, 2001 at 05:41 AM]

13. Kelly W

Kelly W Second Unit

I have the original release of this DVD and have no problems. I watched the widescreen version from chapter 3 through Catholic High School Girls In Trouble ( [​IMG]) and saw no pixellation.
    It seems like every month or so that there is a new "scare" with an older disc that appears to go bad. (Last month it was Ghostbusters, I think.) I have been collecting DVDs for almost three years now and have never had a problem. I know that there were some legitimate cases such as the first pressings of Contact. However, I am very skeptical about these claims of "DVD rot".
    I have a few theories as to what is going on:
    1. Now that DVDs have been around for several years, maybe we're starting to see older players finally giving up the ghost. A DVD player will have a finite lifetime, and we, HTF members, will probably reach the end of that lifetime quicker than others. Are we sure that all these problems are software only? (I occasionally see some video glitches in my three-year old Pioneer player.)
    2. There may truly be some isolated cases where discs have gone bad due to glitches in the manufacturing process. However, I don't think there has been anything widespread that will affect every copy of every disc.
    3. People are not taking care of their discs and scratches and dust are affecting playback.
    4. Maybe there exist some malicious rumor-starters who enjoy spreading lies about such things. (Not that I'm accusing ANYONE here of doing this!!! It's just a thought. I know there have been cases of people posting false information on other forums and websites, and maybe some of these "DVD rot" claims may fall into this category.)
    Admittedly, I am no expert. But every time someone has trouble with a disc someone immediately screams "DVD rot". Is anyone REALLY sure this is happening?
    Thanks.
    -Kelly

14. James_A

Just got a response to my e-mail, and a phone number for me to contact. After I do that tomorrow, I'll let ya'll know what the deal is. They did indicate that they would replace my copy, so that's great news!
    Jim
    ------------------
    [email protected]

15. Clinton McClure

Supporter

Clint
    Good news, Jim. Thanks. I'll look for you to post the info so I can get the address & phone number. I have been busy and have not had time to get in touch with them myself.
    Thanks again. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

16. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    Kelly,
    The term "DVD rot" may be a misnomer (not that anyone was "screaming" it); I read where someone said maybe it was the layers on the DVD separating over time due to a manufacturing defect. But if it happens only on certain discs, I'd think it's more likely due to disc rather than player problems.

17. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    The DVD was released with two different covers from day one, IIRC, so I don't think that is any indication of the disc's likelihood to have problems.
    Regards,
    ------------------
    Ken McAlinden
    Livonia, MI USA

18. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Here are the two covers
    VERSION A
    [​IMG]
    VERSION B
    [​IMG]
    I have version B, and it STILL works fine.
    Just remember....With out Zinc Oxcide, we wouldn't have either version. Maybe thats what happening to some of your DVD's.

19. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

I had version A (old cover) and that copy crapped out on me. My first case of "dvd rot," and I can confirm it is rot, as it played fine for about 6-9 months. Then one day, neither my Sony or Panasonic player was able to read the disc. Very weird. Believe it is (was) a mastering problem.

Cheers,

Felix

20. Kenny Foor

Kenny Foor Stunt Coordinator

I've had cover b for a while now and It's worked fine. Maybe you should try watching it in Feel-Around.[​IMG]