What's new

Kenneth Branagh's HAMLET -- the ultimate, merged, when-oh-when thread (1 Viewer)

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
I can't believe I finally own this, after 10 years of waiting. I saw it twice in 70mm on the Air & Space Museum Imax screen, probably the most powerful movie-viewing experience of my life. Can't wait to watch the disc.

I'm also thrilled that, in this age of trailer-less DVDs, they included both the theatrical trailer and the 12 minute extended trailer that was on a number of Castle Rock videos at the time, and which the DVD says was made for Cannes. And a Branagh commentary. First class DVD package. Bravo Warner.

JohnTRU

Stunt Coordinator
Ordered it the other day, but won't get it until The Office: S3 ships early September...
Grrr. Must. have. now!

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
My review will be up in a couple of days (new baby and recovering wife take precedence over projector time), but having made it through the first disc, I do not think any reasonable person will be dissatisfied. The only problematic aspect of the transfer at first blush is during the scene (chapter 20, IIRC)where Rosencrantz and Guildenstern "arrive" to speak with Hamlet. There is a brownish haze around dark areas (such as Hamlet himself) against the snowy background that appears to be film-element related. Otherwise, everything looks as film-like and detailed as standard def DVD allows.

Regards,

Does anyone know any more about the special book that is in the Borders releases? I'm an hour away from the nearest Borders, and I want to know if it's worth it.

Thanks,

Josh

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
I got my copy at Borders, because of both the book and the 19.99 sale price. The book is inside the keepcase, it's the size of the chapter inserts they used to put in DVDs, in the same place under those two flaps that have no use anymore, and is full of stills from the film, no text. It's certainly nice, but unless you're a die-hard fan of the film, I wouldn't say it's worth two hours in the car to have it.

Of course I also bought at Borders because they had the two Patrick Doyle CDs that came out yesterday, so I was able to make all the purchases of my Three Doyle Day in one stop.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I am watching it right now (coming off my weekend viewing of HENRY V) and I forgot how awesome this movie is. If you haven't picked this up and you are interested, GO GET IT... NOW.

Ineti

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
Did anyone else have audio problems with the Introduction bit on disc 1? I can play the Intro, but I get no sound at all. When I watch the actual movie, I can hear either the 5.1 audio track or the commentary track with no problems. It's just the intro that's messed up.

I haven't checked disc 2 to see if there are any problems yet.

Ed Faver

Second Unit
This is a happy day indeed. I am in the second hour as I write. Charlton Heston is presenting his first speech. It looks great, but I wish the dialogue had been bumped up. There's a clear imbalance, favoring the music and sound effects.
Now, if we can get BRanagh's 'A Midwinter's Tale' released...

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
For years the only way to have seen Branagh’s adaptation of “Hamlet” has been on VHS...
Bill, I hate to be overly picky, but it was also released on laserdisc. I've held onto that laserdisc for years, but can finally get rid of it, thanks to the new DVD release.

I really like the Branagh film, but my over-all favorite Hamlet remains Derek Jacobi's BBC version from circa 1980, part of The Shakespeare Plays series. It is darned near uncut, and features Patrick Stewart as the king and Claire Bloom as the queen. However, it cannot compare to Branagh's as a film, as the BBC version is simply a production of Hamlet as a play. Jacobi also directed Branagh in Hamlet onstage, and I can see a lot of Jacobi in Branagh's performance.

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
Does anyone have a high rez scan of the cover art? The entire cover will do nicely, but I am in particular need of the rear cover artwork. Please send a private message or email me . Thanks.

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
Does anybody else notice that during Claudius's opening speech, with Gertrude standing beside him in her wedding gown, in every shot looking toward Derek Jacobi there seem to be stains or blotches on the print, lighter spots that appear mostly over his shoulders, on the tapestry behind them throughout almost the entire scene, until he steps down from the dais.

I wonder if the original negative for this angle was damaged, because it's only this one, not the reverse shots in the same portion. On the other hand, I certainly don't remember seeing those blotches on the IMAX screen in 1996. I hope it's not a defect of the DVD transfer.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
This set is a treasure. The commentary is fun and insightful, and I had forgotten how the film really makes the language visible - it's not just a filmed stage production in pretty settings. I've put this on nearly every night this week and the quality of the transfer still surprises me.
Derek Jacobi in particular is absolutely brilliant in this film.
I recommend turning on the subtitles - it's wonderful being able to "read along" as the characters speak this very dense language. Even the film's "overblown" quality (e.g. right before the intermission), which turned me off on my first viewing, seems appropriate to me now, considering the (as Branagh notes) the "Zhivagoesque" quality to which they were aspiring.
And at $20 with the photo booklet from the Borders first-week promotion, this is an especially good deal.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Just received the set today. I didn't have time to watch it already, but also couldn't keep myself from not looking at all. :)
Wonderful release!
Branagh is good, of course, but like Steve I always liked Jacobi's performance best. He's a fine actor and ever since I first saw him as Claudius (in I Claudius, I mean) I don't remember seeing him in a weak role ever. Richard II, in Gosford Park, and many more. Even his Cadfael was fun.
Cees

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Cees Alons said:
looking at all. :)
Wonderful release!
Branagh is good, of course, but like Steve I always liked Jacobi's performance best. He's a fine actor and ever since I first saw him as Claudius (in I Claudius, I mean) I don't remember seeing him in a weak role ever. Richard II, in Gosford Park, and many more. Even his Cadfael was fun.
If you purchased the whole Warner Home Video Shakespeare Collection, you can also see a 26 year old Jacobi in his cinematic debut as Cassio in the 1965 "Othello".
Regards,

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
What I loved most about Jacobi's Claudius here is that it's the radical opposite of the Claudius he did just a few years before in Branagh's BBC Radio Hamlet (which had a number of overlapping cast members with the 70mm movie): on the radio, he was a life-of-the-party Claudius, a friendly, chatty, warm host with a big, booming voice; in the film he's a much smaller Claudius, not so outgoing, and maybe a little scared and confused about everything that's happened.

Coressel

Supporting Actor
David_B_K said:
series. It is darned near uncut, and features Patrick Stewart as the king and Claire Bloom as the queen.
I definately agree there! That is still my all time favorite production of Hamlet, although the DVD looks a little fuzzy. I love Jacobi's delivery of the Soliloquies in particular.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks