What's new

Ken Russell's "The Music Lovers" (1 Viewer)

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I want a restored complete The Devils released on bluray. Considering the offensive junk the studios have released so often during the last number of decades I am incredulous that the American public must be protected from such films as this and Song of the South as if this were ok in this day and age.

DigniT@DigniT!

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kent
It would be wonderful if some of the seminal films of the Ken Russell oeuvre were made available on Blu Ray disc, the Isadora film, THE MUSIC LOVERS, THE DEVILS, even SAVAGE MESSIAH, LISZTOMANIA and MAHLER... There was a time, from WOMEN IN LOVE through at least the ALTERED STATES premiere when Russell was considered a major International filmmaker. While he and his work may have fallen out of favor or may not have stood the test of time it is nevertheless a rich body of work, worthy of serious consideration and likely to provide viewers with a great deal to enjoy and ponder. If only they could see the work in reasonable releases... Add my voice to the chorus of support!

Filmgazer

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Helman
I’d really like to obtain a copy or even just see Russell’s Isadora Duncan BBC film again. Now that was brilliant starring Vivian Pickles.
"Isadora Duncan: Biggest Dancer in the World" (1966) is included in the "Ken Russell at the BBC" DVD box set, available from Amazon. I've seen it and Vivian Pickles is marvelous, as always ("Harold and Maude", "Sunday, Bloody Sunday").

Filmgazer

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Helman
It would be wonderful if some of the seminal films of the Ken Russell oeuvre were made available on Blu Ray disc, the Isadora film, THE MUSIC LOVERS, THE DEVILS, even SAVAGE MESSIAH, LISZTOMANIA and MAHLER... There was a time, from WOMEN IN LOVE through at least the ALTERED STATES premiere when Russell was considered a major International filmmaker. While he and his work may have fallen out of favor or may not have stood the test of time it is nevertheless a rich body of work, worthy of serious consideration and likely to provide viewers with a great deal to enjoy and ponder. If only they could see the work in reasonable releases... Add my voice to the chorus of support!
I'm with you! No one makes full-throated, extravagant, and sometimes stylized-to-the-point-of-being-vulgar movies like Ken Russell anymore. And where else can you see actors like Glenda Jackson, Oliver Reed, Vanessa Redgrave, and Richard Chamberlain (!) give fearless, caution-be-damned performances? The rights to "The Music Lovers" are said to be owned by Criterion, so there's a chance that it'll join Russell's "Women in Love" as one of their boutique entries. As for "The Devils", let's hope that someone at WAC has enough nerve to let it finally see the light of day.

Last edited:

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
"Isadora Duncan: Biggest Dancer in the World" (1966) is included in the "Ken Russell at the BBC" DVD box set, available from Amazon. I've seen it and Vivian Pickles is marvelous, as always ("Harold and Maude", "Sunday, Bloody Sunday").
Oh wow - thanks for this info. Ordering now!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks