What's new

Keith Richards may not be in PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN 2 &3 (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
you still havent offered anyone else who would be better

""look, it's Keith Richards!" moment when he appears."

again, so what?
the whole movie is a joke anyway, not menat to be anything taken seriously, all tongue in cheek.

why are you so offended by it anyway.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Right. James Bond was one of the inspirations for the Indiana Jones movies, so it only made sense that Sean Connery would play Harrison Ford's father. In fact, I seem to remember Lucas or Speilberg saying that there was really only one choice for Indy's father and it was Connery.

Having Richards in the movie - either of them or both - will be a riot.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
It seems pretty churlish to object to Richards' casting simply because Depp named him as a source for the Jack Sparrow character. Why don't we simply demand surprises on screen, rather than from the casting director.

I'm looking forward to meeting Sparrow Sr., and further, to what they do with the character on screen. There's so many ways they could work him into the script that'll be cool and funny.

* Bar fight, Depp gets clocked and says something about "I know that punch", then looks up and it's his dad mixed up in the drunken brawl. Hilarity ensues

* Depp brings the Pearl alongside a merchant vessel to plunder, another pirate ship fires a broadside about that time, hilarity ensues, and then shortly they determine father has come across son's plunder. More hiliarity ensues

Etc...
Can't wait, should be fun fun!

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Sometimes, I can be surprised by "obvious" casting. Certainly, it is enjoyable to see a guy you'd never though of doing a part, doing it well, but it is also can be pretty good to see an actor playing a role you'd think it is perfect for him. It all goes down to execution.

Jason

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Sometimes the obvious choice is a creative choice. Keith Richards is not known as an actor, so casting him to work alongside Johnny Depp is taking something of a risk that it could, you know, really suck.

Of course, with the Stones going out on tour, that may explain why KR isn't as available as they had hoped for.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Doesn't matter if Richards is a known actor, he is KNOWN PERIOD.

Your examples, David, could work with any actor. How would Richards make the part any more distinguishable? And it's kinda irrelevant not too mention silly to question how others look for surprises in movies, don't you think?

And comparing Connery's appearance in Indy to this is apples and oranges.

I think I already explained my reasons. His casting isn't beneficial to the role as much as it is for the audience to chuckle. Why not give AN ACTOR a chance to shine in the role. Doesn't matter who; there are plenty of better older actors out there that could fit the bill alot better than some rocker. Not hard to understand.

NicoleBlackman

Auditioning
aw. this is the first ive heard of keith richards being in the movie. well, if it does work out, im sure it will be pretty funny!

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott

And if the whole purpose of the role is mining the comic possibilities of Keith Richards playing off Johnny Depp doing a Keith Richard's impression? It sounds to me like Keith's whole appearance is the punch line to a joke that wouldn't work if someone else was in the role. I also doubt if they are going to have him around for long (given that the Stones are touring) so his appearance will probably be a very brief cameo. An actual actor would probably be wasted in the role.

Since this is just an lightweight action comedy, who plays Jack Sparrow's father is hardly worth making a federal case over.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Perfectly put Paul. (how's that for an alliteration?) The WHOLE point is to make it a "punch line" as you say.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

wow kain, can you be any more condescending?

you can have your opinion as can anyone but dont make it out like your right and everyone else is wrong.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
How would Richards make the part any more distinguishable?

well you certainly couldn’t find many better candidates to exude the required half-dead, hard-life look of mutinous Black Pearl types than Keith Richards
….think of the time saved in makeup.

I wish he had made II and III, should be a hoot. If you want a contrast have P use Ignoratio Elenchi
And cast a red herring in the role of Sparrow Sr., revealing Richards (and throw in Jagger too) as Uncles who corrupted Jack Sparrow, whilst babysitting.

As for acting ability, if they would leave it to Depp to coach and cajole, using a dark claustrophobically sized cabin, (something with a bar motif) camera masked, closed set…it will fly. I think it takes a Depp to deal with a Richards.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
People are allowed not to like whoever they want to despise.

Still seems awfully silly to object to this casting. The news that Depp had modeled on Keith Richards (and Pepe la Pew) was issued for the PotC press rounds when it initially released. People laughed then, and they're laughing now. Everyone I mention the casting too laughs and says they can't wait to see how it works on screen.

It's not like they're placing Richards in a major role; this role will be a minor supporting one at best, and probably just a cameo for the laugh. Could a SAG actor have done it; sure. Would a SAG actor be garnering this kind of love for the role ... probably not.

I put this in the same category with having a well known actor cameo as The King in Robin Hood movies; because it's just a little Fourth Wall thrill for the audience to see a familiar and respected actor in that role in a Robin Hood story.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
According to most reports that I've read, Depp himself has been the one trying the hardest to get Keith into the role. He and Keith are personal friends, and, according to most reports, he has been trying to make this happen for quite some time.

A couple of recent items:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050822/364/fq6br.html

http://news.scotsman.com/entertainme...?id=1787782005

http://www.cinema.com/news/item.phtml?ID=7508

And, just a good Keith interview:

http://news.independent.co.uk/people...icle306495.ece

Now, who WOULDN'T want to see the guy in that interview...as a pirate...in a DISNEY film, of all things?!? Great for the in-joke aspect, at the very least...

Obvious casting? Keith Richards in a Disney film...? A Disney children's film...?

::scratches head::

Personally, I can't wait to see it happen... :D

James_G

Stunt Coordinator

...and? It's a comedy, I'm supposed to chuckle. Johnny Depp doing a Keith Richards impression to Keith Richards has the potential to be 100 times funnier than just some older actor with an eye patch saying "argh".

Bonnie*F

Stunt Coordinator
And my mind started snickering at the bloopers/outtakes and hoping they're on the DVD version of whichever film KR is in.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
The original was PG-13 and I suspect the other two will be as well.

That's not a "children's" film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks