What's new

Keira Knightly, Bounty Hunter: "Domino" trailer (1 Viewer)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Guess I posted too hastily, sorry. Lack of a DVD insert and the menus had me make my mind up before checking out the rest. I'm so shallow. :b

Will check out the featurettes this weekend. :emoji_thumbsup:

I still wish they had the different teasers/trailers that I saw floating around the net, but yea, small issue.

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
I'd thought of Tony Scott as the master of interesting failures, so I didn't hurry to see Domino. Now that I have, it's on my top ten for '05. Freed of a linear and simplistic screenplay, Scott has crossed a threshold here, though it hasn't been a respectable journey. He's been developing his technique with the wrong motivations, which makes defending Domino feel dirty. Days of Thunder is so bad. But now his narrative is finally as scattered and malleable as his treatment of film stock.

The spiritual sibling to this film isn't something by Michael Bay or even Man on Fire; it's Begone Dull Care. The formers use hyper editing to amp up action and make things "more exciting," while the latter gives up representationalism altogether. Domino doesn't go as far, but the combination of photography and editing in motion pictures creates more than one opportunity to step toward abstraction. Along with a linear timeline and natural color, which are commonly eschewed these days, screen direction is out the window in Domino. The soundtrack tends to have it's own wandering, non-diegetic fun far beyond what the scene requires. As in a Van Gogh, an image is visible but the strokes are where the content lies.

I don't know if it takes a genius to make something like this, but it does require the courage of someone's convictions, and Scott sounds like he knows he's taking a risk going as far as he is. By taking a slightly different angle he's turned something bad into something good. Four stars for mainstream cinema as a fine art!

edit: I never thought I'd need the word "non-diegetic."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks