What's new

Kef's q5 setup or klipsch's f3's?? (1 Viewer)

tracy.t

Auditioning
I'm a newbie in home theatres and have been saving up for a nice setup. This is my first setup and was gonna buy the onkyo Home theatre in a box for CC for $500 but figured why not save the money and save for a better one so now I'm stuck with a decision on the Klipsch's F3 setup with 12inch sub from bestbuy for about 2K or was at ultimate electronics yesterday and saw the kef Q5 fronts 10"sub,2 bookshels, and upgraded to the IQ6 center. I need your opinion on what system would be better for the money. I'm spending about the same amount and was wondering which you guys would buy. Thanks in advance!!

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
My $0.02.

Those speakers have completely different sounds, so it's your personal preference. Both are fine choices.

KEFs = stronger, crystal-clear midrange; weaker low-end; less efficient

Klipsch = very efficient; more sizzling highs, more robust low-end; weaker midrange

Very generally, the KEFs are a finesse speaker and the Klipsch are more brutish. Both attributes have their strengths and weaknesses and both can shine depending upon what they're being asked to reproduce.

You're going to have to give them a good listening to with a variety of your favorite CDs/DVDs to decide which sound you prefer. If possible, see if the dealer(s) will let you take home the front pair of each brand to test in your own listening environment.

Now, another thing to consider is that the subwoofer need not necessarily match the rest of your speakers brand-wise. Don't limit your sub choice like that. Shop for your sub separately with a set budget in mind. That way you'll get the speakers you prefer and the best sub you can get within your budget. Your "best" sub may well be one of the 2 brands you mention. Or it may be another manufacturer's sub altogether. You may like the KEF speakers with the Klipsch sub (hint, hint ;)). Or vice versa. But treat the sub as a separate choice and purchase.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
I can tell you fron experience, if you like loud music or movies, something like the Klipsch would be the ticket. If you are looking for something more subdued and laid back, the KF would be the way to go.

I am a Klipsch owner, and I sell audio gear. I have seen some very well respected brands of speakers crumble and fall where the Klipsch would be bored and wondering when you were going to get things started.

The Klipsch is more of a Corvette Z06 while the KEF is more of a Porsche Boxster. They are both awesome cars, but the Vette is a fire-breathing monster, while the Boxster is a little more dialed in and precise, but not as fast. Either way, they are both good. Klipsch worked best for me, because I like action/sci-fi/etc. movies and electronic music.

mark tu

Grip
I have the Klipsch (F-3s and C-3) and love them, but I didn't care for the Klipsch Sub - went with an outlaw sub ...
Very pleased...

Also, when I planned my system, I realized that the Klipsch speakers are a little "bright", so I went with the Bose 301's (8 inch woofers with front and rear tweeters)for the sides and rears (I know a lot of people think Bose are crappy and overpriced, etc etc), but the Bose has a mellower tone that blends very nicely with the Klipsch' brighter tone. (I also got them on sale for $60 off each set which helped).

No more turning the volume up to hear voices, and down when music plays - I can set it at one volume and never touch it... I have several friends who are big time audiophiles, and their jaws dropped when they heard my system. In ultra2cinema mode, you can't tell where the sound is coming from, it's all around you...

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Tracy, like Scott said, you should take time and listen for yourself with music you know.

When I auditioned speakers, it came down to Klipsch vs. KEF. I liked the Klipsch, but they were a tad too bright for my taste. I thought the KEF was more balanced, and bought them (Q11, Q10c, Q1). They sound great in my problemmatic living room. The Q11s have a bass hump I notice when listening to music, but I think that's an artifact of the room.

Anyway, they're both good brands, and were very close in quality. I can't tell you about a sub, because I still use my old JBL.

Good luck,
Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks