keff speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ed levy, Mar 13, 2002.

1. ed levy

ed levy Auditioning

would appreciate any and all opinions on the keff speaker line. thanks in advance[​IMG]

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Excellent speakers!
    Only one "F" - KEF

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

There are many existing posts about KEF speakers. You can find them by using the "Search this forum" function at the top of the thread listing. (But as already noted, be sure to spell it "KEF", with one "f".)
    Here's a sample of what's available:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...&highlight=kef
    M.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'm partial to the Q series myself, but they are not exactly inexpensive. [​IMG]

5. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I just went to check out the new Q Series on Monday. Specifically, the bookshelf Q1. What a beautiful speaker. And the sound....it was to die for. However, a little beyond my budget at $450.00/pair. The Q Series has been creeping up in prices, but then KEF had added the new Coda line and the Cresta line in recent years. One of those lines has got to go.

6. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Kef speakers are amazing (I run a full Q series setup so I am biased). I think they are some of the best values on the market, especially in a dual music HT setup. The new Q series is really great and a substantial improvement (IMHO) over the old Q series.
    If you are not adverse to ordering online, checkout the following link
    http://www.sounddistributors.com/pro...e=Kef+Speakers
    I have never ordered from them

7. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

Anybody compare the new metal domed tweeters on the new Q series against the soft domed ones on the old series?

Looks like the Center channel got the biggest upgrade, since it now goes down to 50Hz, compared to 85Hz.

8. george king

John,

I recently listened to the new series and have the older Q series. All of them sounded much better, particularly the new center. I am not a big fan of metal tweeters, but the one in the Kef sounded good and was not fatiguing (after about a half hour of listening). Also, the bass response is much better, particularly the Q7. This is good, as I have always thought the Q series to be seriously bass shy.

Hope this helps.

9. Andrew JC

Andrew JC Stunt Coordinator

George, Did you listen to the Q1? If so, what did you think?

10. Curtis_Edwards

Curtis_Edwards Stunt Coordinator

I use to use a complete KEF configuration for my HT before moving to my little apartment. I had the KEF Q75 fronts and a pair of Q15's for the center and Q15 for the rear.

I loved this setup. The Uni-Q driver is absolutely sweet. The Q15 have been regarded as some of the best bookshelf speakers out there.

I had them bi-amp with (2) B&K 7720 and B&K Ref 20.

You really can't go wrong if you bi-amp them.

That was then....I have changed the configuration and now everything is in the closet to be sold. I now run Paradigm Active speakers.

11. george king

Andrew,

Yes I did, and I thought is sounded better than the Q15, which I consider to be the best "value" of the Q line, up until now. It really is a great speaker.

I was most impressed with the Q7 (the other speaker I listened to). I never really liked the Q65 or Q75 because I thought the bass that was there was muddy (the Q55 I thought was better in this regard). But the Q7 was really something special. Wide deep soundstage, with deep controlled bass (I brought along Holly Cole's Temptation, if you are familiar with the CD).

Hope this helps.