What's new

Kef Reference Model 4.2's help required ; ) (1 Viewer)

Shion_ca

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,
I just listened to the Kef Model 4.2's and really enjoyed the midrange vocals and clarity, yet softness of the high end. The base seemed to plod a bit, but I read in a review that's indicative of it being matched with an unsuitable driver.

I heard them setup on an Onkyo 4600 (can) integrated. I'm not sure of the model. I was offered the last pair as they no longer make the reference 4.2's. I would be combining them with a musical fidelity A3Cr preamp and amp. Does anyone own or have any experience with these speakers and could you give me your thoughts on what equipment and room positioning best suits them and if you would still buy them today? I thought that these particular speakers slightly out did the nautalis 803's that I had heard. Has anyone else done a direct comparison between the two?

Most importantly when did this line get discontinued? Does anyone have any idea? as I would like to get parts six years from now ; ) The price I was offered on the "1 month old" demos was 5300 with the 15% taxes include (can) which is equivalent to about 3040 before tax. Can someone please gi

george king

Supporting Actor
They were discontinued because they introduced a new Reference line. I do not have them, but a friend has the 4.0s. They need a big room, with lots of space around them, and a quality front end. My friend was using a Bryston stereo amp, and their preamp (the 25 model I think). Until the recent series, bass has always been a problem, but with the above guidelines you should be good to go.

Hope this helps.

Annette F

Auditioning
As an owner of the Reference 3's I think that this line is wonderful. I have not heard the new Reference series but they are so much more detailed, realistic, and transparent compared to some of the classic, revered 80's models such as the 104.2's.

I noticed locally that the less expensive Ref. 3.2 demos were being sold off for $3000 plus so if you get the 4's for that equivalent that sounds like a great buy.

John Chow

Second Unit
Hate to say this, as I do like the old reference line quite a bit, and they look gorgeous, but if you do a side by side comparison with the new ref line, I think most people will find the new ref line to be significantly better. We did an A/B a few months back, and the new ref line just has extra clarity on the high end that you don't even hear in the old ones.

Annette F

Auditioning
Glad to hear that KEF continues to make strong improvements in their line. I really root for them; I've still got some 103.2's for my surrounds from 15+ years ago. Got such a deal on my Ref 3's on eBay- the prices on the new line weren't even in the same universe so they weren't even a consideration.

Some positioning comments: they do seem to like to be in from the wall a bit. Also mine like a slightly toe-in position.

So, did you buy them?

Annette

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks