KEF Q series vs Onix rockets

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Drew K, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Drew K

Drew K Auditioning

I am currently in the proccess of shopping for my first real home audio system and I have already decided upon an SVS PCi woofer and a Denon AVR-2803 reciever. Speakers are the only major decision that remains. I have already auditioned a KEF Q5, Q9c, and Q1 system and I thought they sounded great. However after browsing the forums a while I noticed that Onix Rockets are priced very similarly and all come very highly recomended by the posters on this forum. How do you think that the two systems stack up?

2. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

I'm not familiar with the KEF speakers, other than the ultra expensive ones they carry at my local Ultimate Electronics. Not sure if anyone's done a A/B comparison. I've heard the Rockets, and love their sound. They are great speakers, as you've read. You might want to post in the AV123 forum to see if someone near you can provide a demo with the Rockets.

Also, AV123 sells Denon gears, so you might be able to get a packaged deal if you decide to go with the Rockets.

3. DarrenAlan

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

As someone quite familiar with KEF (own the Q15s as well as Q3s in two different systems), I would say it's hard to go wrong with them. Excellent sound overall and good quality for the $$$.

4. dannyG

dannyG Agent

Drew, I sold my Def Tech setup and did alot of auditioning to find a replacement. I looked at the same Kef system you are talking about.(Q5, Q9c, Q1) I now own a Rocket setup. (550's, 200, 150's)

The two speaker setups really sound different from one another to my ears. There just was not enough umph! from the kef's to meet what i was looking for. The Kef center channel is no match for the Rocket center 200. My decision was made fairly easy. Just my opinion.

ck. out av123.com, go to there forum. You can find some great info on the Rockets.

Dan

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    My friend has Q5s with a ref center and they sound great with music in his room, movies are not so spectacular, but his room is smallish. I auditioned the Q1s and was not impressed. They have a lot of depth and great imaging, but lack something in the way of detail (and this was with some very nice gear).

I have not heard the Rockets, but you might check www.audioenvy.com to see if there are some local for you to hear.