Kef Q series...(must read)

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by ArthurJ, Aug 7, 2003.

1. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

Anybody who has never taken the time to audition these speakers, DO SO. You owe it to yourself. I went into my local shop, who primarily carries Kef and Paradigm. Being the big Paradigm fan I am, and my relationship with the owner, I flicked on the Anthem Pre-amp, and started to listen to the 20's V.2 series. I saw the Kef Q3's sitting there, with no previous desire to audition them, I thought what the hell. My god was I missing some of the nicest sounding speakers I have ever heard in the sub $1400 range. It gets better, they can be had cheaper online, A LOT cheaper. In fact I thought they sounded a lot nicer then the Paradigm Studio 60's. They were both side by side, powered with the exact same pre-amp/amplifier. I switched continuously with a broad range of music. From metal to soft rock, classical to hip-hop. The dispersion was a lot broader then that of the 60's. The midrange was smoother and more detailed. They got a heck of a lot louder then the 60's with the exact same power, and I found them to not stress as fast as the Studio 60's under louder listening conditions. The Kef's also had a HECK of a lot of bass for a single driver floor stander, more so then the 60's. Paradigm is still one of my favorite companies, they always will be. And I know everybody has there own listening tastes, that's what makes home audio so much fun. The 60's are a mighty fine floor stander indeed, and I cant wait to hear the V.3's. But anybody who has yet to audition the Kef's, PLEASE give them a chance, I was blown away at how well they performed, there probably my favorite "mid-priced" floor stander at the moment, and I am most definitely buying a pair in a month or so.

2. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Kef's are wonderful speakers, and I have always preferred them to Paradigm or B&W. One thing though. They are not single driver speakers, rather a co-axial design in which the tweeter is mounted in the acoutic center of the woofer. That is why it looks like they only have 1 driver.

Hope this helps.

3. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

Yes, I am aware of this...

I should have worded it differently, I meant as in a 2 way...

4. Lee M T

Lee M T Second Unit

How much are the Q3's you speak of? I sure love the looks of them.

5. JustinDR

JustinDR Agent

I just listened to the Q3s today and I was very disappointed. I am also a fan of Kef speakers, I used to own a pair of Reference 3s, but the Q3s sounded dull, lifeless and coloured. I tried them in two different rooms with different setups but those qualities remained. I was shocked, especially since I've heard the KHT egg speakers and thought they were great. I'll probably give them another try, or maybe a different model in the Q series, since I find it hard to believe they are as bad as they sounded today.

6. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

JustinDR, Thank you for your honesty....

Just to add, when I was comparing the Q3 to the 60's the source was a Anthem 2 channel pre-amp and the amplifier was a big Bryston 2 ch (150watts x 2)