Kef Q Series Are Good For Marantz 7200?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by simone_s, Dec 30, 2002.

1. simone_s

simone_s Auditioning

I own a Marantz sr 7200 and now I am moving on the the speakers for my system. I am looking to spend somewhere around $1500 total for 5 speakers. At the moment it appears I am mostly looking at the KEF Q series. I am considering the Q3 (front), Q1 (rear), Q9c (central).
    Any suggestion?
    Thanks
    Simone

2. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

Should sound great! I have the same KEF's for my setup and I like the sound a lot. I hope you also have a subwoofer as the KEF's don't have extended bass response.

3. simone_s

simone_s Auditioning

Thank you Rick,
    sure I am looking for a subwoofer, but not a kef one.
    Probably a yamaha, but I am not sure, I have not listened many yet.
    Have you got any suggestion?
    Simone

4. Sean L

Sean L Stunt Coordinator

Simone-
    I've listened to all the new KEF Q-Series, and I would strongly recommend the Q5 over the Q3 for your mains...the Q3s are simply Q1s in a taller cabinet. The Q5 adds a 6.5" woofer for deeper bass--they're quite a bit punchier. The Q1s do great as surrounds...
    Here are some pics of my KEF HT...
    http://web.tampabay.rr.com/slewis/ht/
    (if you can't get the pic to load try refreshing or pasting the link into a new browser)
    Regards,
    Sean in Norcal
    -Denon AVR2802
    -KEF Q7/Q1/Q9c & SVS 22-31PCi sub
    -Toshiba 43" HDTV
    -Panny CP72 DVD
    -A/R Pro Interconnects

5. BradJudy

BradJudy Stunt Coordinator

I almost bought KEF Q series for my HT, but budget-mindedness got the better of me. The Marantz 7200 was the receiver I was looking at to get with them and they sounded great on the Marantz I demoed on (not the 7200).

I agree with Sean that the Q5 has a lot more bass than the Q3.

As for subs you should look into the standard recommendations of SVS, Hsu and Adire. I own a Hsu VTF-2 and am quite happy with it. All of these 3 are great subs and are available in the $400-600 range (you didn't mention a sub budget though).

6. simone_s

simone_s Auditioning

Thank you all for replying,
    today I went to a pair of local dealers to listen to some speakers.
    Each of them sell both kef and B&W and they all suggested me to buy B&w series (603,601,lcr 600) for them they fit better with my marantz.
    I still prefer Kef, Probably I'll take a few days to think about it and maybe listen to the Tannoy Saturn (Ever heard them playing?)
    Thanks
    Simone

7. Sean L

Sean L Stunt Coordinator

8. Mike_Ch

Mike_Ch Stunt Coordinator

Simone,
    I wrote a fairly long reply in answer to your query about the Tannoy Saturn's, but my server crapped out and it got lost in the ether.
    I will sum it up:
    B&W 602/603 S2's - very nice midrange (a little recessed), a bit brighter high-frequency compared to the other two- more detailed but in the long run with the wrong matching electronics, may cause fatigue easier. Bass was quite strong, if not particularly extended. Imaging was quite accurate and focussed even when poorly placed. A little restricted dispersion though.
    Kef Q55/65's- again, very nice midrange (also recessed), quite laid-back top end that was missing a little "air". Bass was the best of all three manufacturers (on the Q65's with the 'racetrack' bass driver) in terms of output and extension- it did sound a little boomy though. Very even and smooth dispersion means you get a good stereo image even off axis.
    Tannoy Saturn S6, S6LCR- excellent midrange, very natural and warm, and IMHO compares to that of the Dynaudio Contour 1.3MkII's and 1.3SE's (although not as much resolution of detail of course). Bass is quite extended, if not the last word in output, but is well-balanced against the rest of the frequency spectrum. High frequencies are slightly rolled-off, so may leave you wanting a bit more "excitement" for movies- for music, they do sound quite natural. Imaging is excellent, but the image is fairly "wide" and not as pinpoint as the B&W's in particular. This improves a lot with better electronics, and also means off-axis listening is more than good. They also image well outside of the speaker boundaries (I put this down to the use of a coaxial driver with a first-order crossover).
    I liked the Tannoy's the best of all three.
    Of course, none of these comparisons were A/B and were done at three different stores, so YMMV. They are all very good value speakers and deserve to be mated with higher-end electronics.
    Cheers,
    Mike