KEF kicks out BOSE or does it?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by amanWadhan, Jul 7, 2005.

1. amanWadhan

amanWadhan Agent

Hello Everyone

Scenario -

I had thought of purchasing Bose AM 16 alongwith Onkyo TX-SR602. But after getting not so encouraging responses after posting my queries on the present forum, i changed my opinion and have now set my eyes on KEF's KHT 2005.2 along with Denon AVR-2105 7.1 Channel Receiver. I am planning to use QED interconnects. All this is going to cost me a tad less than my earlier choice. From what I have heard, KEF is a decent brand and it fits my limited budget. I am planning to expand on to 7.1 later on when i have some cash.

Queries -

1. What is the material used in the construction of the speakers (tweeters & mid-range cone) and the subwoofer (PSW 2010) cone which comes with KHT 2005.2? Also, how is the quality of KEF subs.?

2. The sub does not have any port (closed type). does the absence of a port compromise the quality? from what i know, the earlier model KEF KHT 2005.1 used a sub with port but the newer model KHT 2005.2 uses a sub without a port. why is this so and does it improve the quality?

3. Also if you can suggest any other sub-sat system which can surpass the KEF-Denon setup i am going for in quality and is also in the same price range?

4.Finally, is there any better receiver than the Denon AVR 2105 in the same price range? Please give names and also please write in what ways is/are they better.

i will be highly appreciative of your help.

2. Jason Dalton

Jason Dalton Stunt Coordinator

Ported vs. sealed is a design parameter, it has nothing to do with quality.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Sealed subs are usually tigher sounding, but they tend to give up a bit of extension and some output compared to a vented system. It can have a lot to do with sound quality, but given equally well designed subs, it shouldn't matter.

KEF is a good brand. I haven't heard any of their all in one systems, but their higher models are good.

What's the budget?

You might give the Rocket ELT a look. Check www.audioenvy.com to see if there is someone local who owns them and can give you an audition. They are a very reputable company that is well liked around here.

4. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

In this particular instance, I'd say it matters a whole lot considering one of the many points Bose is bashed for is their use of plain paper drivers...

Anyway, back to the original topic: although I have no experience with them myself, I've seen numerous HTFers brag about the Energy Take-5 set...

5. markMcintosh

markMcintosh Auditioning

I bought an Orb Audio system and I love it. Orb is an internet-direct company, but they have a no-hassle 30 day return policy. After I got them I listened to the KEF's in the store. The Orbs sounded much better, even with my mid-priced Yamaha receiver. The sound is much fuller than the KEF's or the BOSE and the subwoofer rocks. I have sat through the BOSE demo a couple of times and I always leave smiling because my system sounds much better for 1/2 the price. The detail and clarity is pretty amazing for a sub/sat system. I had a pair of KEF 103.2's for 20 years. If you are interested, do a search for "Orb Audio". Just an option you might want to explore.

6. John Garcia

John

Nobody should be bashing anybody for using paper drivers. Paper is still one of the most neutral driver materials available.

7. billybob_jcv

billybob_jcv Stunt Coordinator

There is a big difference between "paper" and "cheap paper". Bose has plenty of "cheap" in their design, and very little "cheap" in their price...

I heard the Gallo sats at Good Guys and they sounded pretty darn good. Based on that, I thought hard about going with the Orbs (a bit cheaper than Gallo) for my surrounds, but then I got a good deal on some used bookshelves and went with the used. None of the Bose were even close.

8. John Garcia

John

LOL.

Regardless of material, there's just no way to get great midrange performance out of a 2" driver.

9. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I have 2 rooms of KEFs; the main with 5 Q75s and a KEF sub and the bedrooms with 5 of the C series. I have never heard a system that sounded better than the one in my main room and the bed aint too shabby for that matter.
    It took a while to get it sounding good...placement; playing with various centers etc.
    Very natural sounding speakers

I have heard 5 seperate sounding Bose systems; 2 much more expensive than mine. At the best they sounded ok. Actually I bought a 'All in One' system for $59 that sounded like the best one.
    The worst was a friend who bought 901s about 10 years back and god they sounded horrible.
    Sound is subjective and there are many factors. Bose tends to be very expensive and if you valus simple electronics and beige speakers that match the carpet and impress the wife; they might work.
    Just listen to both first.
    There is a dealer in San Francisco that sells both and I asked who buys the Bose. He flat out said only people who won't listen to both. People will walk in and ask for the Bose and buy them without listening. Nobody buys them if they listen to both.....and this is from a salesmen who makes more commisson on the Bose (so he told me)

10. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Grant: not to defend Bose or anything, but did those 901s have their equalizer hooked up? I've read several times where people used the 901s without it, thinking it was just an optional component but that EQ box is part of the 901 system. With it, those speakers' overall sound (to me) was O.K., like a $250 pair of conventional large floorstanders.

BTW: I would buy any KEF speaker sight unseen before I ever bought a Bose. The only Bose speakers I think sound O.K. and aren't too overpriced are the 201 and 301 models (but the 301 has to be placed correctly to sound right--that rear facing tweeter needs to be aimed just the right way). And IMO they look nice too. Though I think that center channel they sell sounds awful, even for them.

11. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I believe you are right about the equalizer but his receiver had to much power to use the equalizer;the direction never said the equalizer was not optional

12. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Hmm. The EQ gets placed in the receiver's tape monitor loop so the EQ would have no contact with the amp's output (IIRC it's job is to greatly boost the lower bass and the upper treble so those nine 4" full-range drivers sound reasonable). And the manual might not have mentioned this issue because of the system concept, i.e. it was implied that the EQ was mandatory.

FYI: EQ'ed speaker systems enjoyed some popularity from the late 60s up to the mid 80s. KEF had a special EQ system called the KUBE just for the bass region for some of their own speakers; and Infinity for some of their speakers (scroll half way down to the picture for the RS IIB) and here (click on appropriate model). And Advent (before their products were trashed by a certain company in the late 90s [​IMG]): Powered Advent.

13. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Yes I have the KUBE for my front speakers but I have it disconnected since I added a TAP9000ES for 5.1 SACD inputs. I just felt like there was getting to be to many connections b y adding another box to the signal paths