KEF Calibration

mactep76

Auditioning
Real Name
Boris
Hi, I have a set of KEF3051 speakers hooked up with an Onkyo SR804 reciever. I did an auto calibration using a supplied microphone. do i have to further change anything when it comes to sound calibration. I know absolutedly nothing about the technical terms like Hz, ohm, db etc..

Also, what listening modes are best for what types of inputs. Listening modes available on Onkyo are: Pure Audio, Direct, Stereo, Mono, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, PLIIx Movie, PLIIx Music, Dolby Digital EX, DTS+Dolby EX, Dolby Digital+PLIIX Music, DTS 96/24, DTS-ES Discrete, DTS-ES Matrix etc..totally overkilled and confusing...

tHANKS

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Boris

If the auto cal sounds good leave it alone. I use Stereo, Dolby Digital, DTS, and very rarely anything else. IF you have 7.1 use DLPIIx.

Happy Holidays

PS It takes a lot of reading and testing all the different surround modes to decide which are really worth bothering with.

Happy New Year

mactep76

Auditioning
Real Name
Boris
Thanks, Arthur.. i guess those modes come on automatically depending on what kind of input comes in.. for instance if tv is on ESPN HD, it would automatically go on DD?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

If you set the receiver to decode "auto" (probably the default setting) it will pick the best codec 99% of the time. If the program/DVD is in DD, it will output DD. If you choose DTS, it will output DTS. If the program is in stereo, it will output stereo (while decoding any Pro-Logic surround info in the stereo signal). All the ES, EX addtions to DD and DTS are digital 6.1 formats and will only play if you have a 6.1 (or 7.1) speaker setup.

The only thing you may want to change is to have pro-Logic sources default to Pro-Logic II (if they don't already). It does a better job at surround info that regular Pro-Logic.

mactep76

Auditioning
Real Name
Boris
it's set to auto..but seems that no matter what i do, i cant get the DTS to output from DVD player. keeps going into PCM Multichanel.... getting very frustraiting..please help. thanks

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

You have to manually turn DTS on in the DVD setup menu. DTS is off by default 99% of the time because it can damage some receivers.

mactep76

Auditioning
Real Name
Boris
thanks Jeff, i finally figured it out yesterday..i set some option to Auto..now i get DTS. watched Pulp Fiction over again..great movie
) is there any special way i have to calibrate a subwoofer..now it's set to 0db.. is that correct? also i have several switches on it(crossover i think)...i left it the way it came...

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

The Primer, available in the Basics section, has a detailed description on how to calibrate your whole system. Good reading there!

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clarajohnson10