Keeping wire length same and front speaker height

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Mike_J_Potter, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Mike_J_Potter

Mike_J_Potter Second Unit

I got a HK AVR 125 and a full Infinity speaker set 4 sats 1 center channel and powered sub. I was wondering about front speaker placement, the rear placement has been figured out due to a small wall in the back and wire running. For the fronts do I want to shoot for getting them as close to level with each other as I can, what is an acceptable level of height difefrence before it will have a noticable effect on sound. The systems will be used for some music but mostly TV and movies. Also should I make all the front cables the same length. Thanks for your help,
    Mike

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

The wire length is irrelevent but leave enough to move things around in case you have to. This article from Sound & Vision might be generally useful to you.

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Try and get the tweeters as close to the same height as possible. Being off by many inches is not a problem, but if you have the ability - the same height all around is good.

You 'might' notice issues if sounds pan around the front speakers. But I doubt it.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    If you can’t achieve uniform height for some reason, you can compensate by tilting or otherwise aiming the speakers at the listening position.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Mike_J_Potter

Mike_J_Potter Second Unit

Thanks for all your help I got the speakers pretty close to the same height now. Install wasn't too bad, besides one of the rear speaker wires was a nightmare to run. Sounds pretty good so far though it still it needs a little bit of tweaking to get the bass response a little better out of the powered sub but thats no big deal.

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Go to the Primer/Faq and it will instruct you how to level-adjust the speakers.

Some other advice:

- Do not shove the center speaker back on the TV. You want it over-hanging by about 1/4 inch.

- The center usually sounds better if you decouple it from the top of the TV. Make feet with wooden dowles, pink-rubber erasers or even paper-back books. Rubber Door wedges also work great and give some downward tilt which is sometimes needed to focus the center speaker on your head.

- Use a laser-pointer on your L/R speakers to see where the two speaker waves intersect. There are 3 different amounts of toe-in:

A) So the L/R speakers intersect 1-2 feet in front of the listener

B) So the L/R speakers intersect on the listener

C) So the L/R speakers intersect 1-2 feet behind the listener

You just have to try all 3 and pick the best one.

After adjusting the positions, check the level on the center and L/R speakers to make sure they still match. A slight change in angle on a speaker can have a dramatic change in volume several feet away.

Hope this helps.