Keeping the dust out of my HK7200

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Johnal, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Johnal

Johnal Stunt Coordinator

Johnal
    Hey Everyone,
    Currently I don't have my receiver in any kind of enclosure because the beast would not get enough air if I put it in my TV center. Anyway, my apartment has a slight dust problem and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for ways to keep the dust out. When I put my computer together I took used fabric freshener sheets and put them between the fans of my computer and the enclosure so that the air could still flow but it would be filtered. I was wondering if I could do the same sort of thing with my receiver. Thanks!
    -Johnal

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    There is nothing you can do to prevent dust. It is a fact of life.

3. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    You can buy a can of compressed air (computer guys use this a lot) and every once in a while, carefully remove your cover and spray the air to remove the dust build-up. Just be careful not to knock any pins or connections loose within your receiver.

4. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

Or... you can get an "air purifier", and let me know how it works for squelching the dust issue. Ive been considering one of these for my basement ht. Its really dusty. What sparked my wanting one was the infomercial for the sharper image's ionic breeze thing. They are all over Ebay.

5. Johnal

Johnal Stunt Coordinator

Johnal
    Hey Jimi,
    Thanks for the response. I've considered getting an air purifier as well due to the dust and the fact that I have two cats in my apartment. (Allergic to both) However, in regards to the Ionic Breeze... if you are considering purchasing one, please please pleeeease do a little research before making your investment. If you only need an air purifier JUST to keep large dust particles out of your equipment, it may do alright...but let me put it this way... The Ionic Breeze is the Bose of air purifiers. As far as I'm concerned, Hepa filters are still the best way to go. (Hepa Ionic Combo is alright too i guess) However, sharper image's ionic breeze is all marketing. Don't get me wrong, I love sharper image and all their gadgets and stuff...hell i was a manager at Brookstone for a couple years just because it was the closest thing to a Sharper Image in my area. Anyway, I'm not sure what your position is on Consumer Reports, but even they rate it as the absolute worst air purifier on the market. (Then again, they say bose is pretty good[​IMG] ) Let me know if you find something that works out for you and I'll do the same for you.

-Johnal

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Hepas use slightly more electricity because they use a fan, which you can also hear, but they do the trick as well. I have allergies also, and got an ionic breeze because they had a 2 for 1 sale, so I split the cost with a friend. It does seem to do the trick for allergies, but I doubt it will cut down on dust a whole lot. It also gives off this funny "hospital" like scent when it is on - not bad, just odd. It also says you need to run it 24/7 in order for it to be effectve and it will need to be cleaned often in an environment with pets and/or smoking. My brother smokes and uses a hepa, and the side effect I noticed about it when I was at his place is that it works extremely well for allergies.

In both cases, you have to keep the unit clean or you will simply be blowing some of the particles back into the room...

7. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

The Ionic Breeze device does not work, period!!! Go find any real scientific testing done on air cleaners and you will see the IB almost always is the worst. I tried them before I found the tests and not only did they do nothing for my allergies or reduce dust they break frequently. I used them (2 to cover my entire condo) for about 6 months and each one was replaced under warranty twice...the third time the the one in my bedroom went out I call Sharper Image cust service and asked for a refund (which they gave me without a problem). I've gone back to using the Honeywell (noisy fan driven thing) and it's not one of the better ones you can get (just average)...it's reduces dust and helps my allergies. As far as electronics, I just use compressed air to blow them out peridically...just be sure to power off (better to unplug certain devices like Directv STBs that only go into standby when off) and leave off for about 10 minutes since the "dusters" sometimes shoot out a little damp stuff.

8. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

Thanks for the heads up on the ionic breeze, i havnt really done any research as of yet, im still just in the curious/possibly in the future stage right now. They have them for sale at CC as well as some other sharper image crap, i looked at there odd designer type shelf systems and i have to say they made some of the worst sounds ive ever heared in my life. That alone made me a little skepticle of the ionic breeze. Im mostly concerend about smoke though, with 3 smokers in my house it really does alot of damage to everything. i never realized untill a few weeks ago when i noticed that the sony logo on one of the house tvs had turned brown. It sent me on a cleaning binge, the only product i had in my house that was able to get rid of it was tilex. (yes, i sprayed tilex right on my tv)

9. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Instead of those fabric softener sheets, pick up 3M's foam that's used inside window mount air conditioners and just cut it to fit. You should be able to fine it at your local home improvement store.

10. Robert Hoffman

Robert Hoffman Stunt Coordinator

Chu, would you place the foam over the entire top of the receiver?

11. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

If the dust is bothering you that much, I don't see why you couldn't. The stuff is fairly permeable and does a nice job of trapping particulates so I wouldn't expect any measureable heat increase as it's not an insulator (works nicely in those computer fan applications). However, at some point you'll have to either clean it or replace it.
    Dust is just one of those things we all have to deal with in one way or another.

12. Robert Hoffman

Agreed, especially in NYC it just seems to be much worse.

13. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

Jimi C, one thing that will dramatically help the dust in your basement is to seal the concrete floor if you haven't done so already, even if there is carpet over it dust will still come through the floor. I used a rust-oleum epoxy sealer on my basement floor, it works great, a bit of a pain to put on though.

14. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

I actually have asbestos floor tiles in my basement. Im assuming that they didnt seal the floor before they put those on, but, its not worth killing myself over. i have been considering painting over the fake wood paneling thats on the walls though.

15. JohnSmith

JohnSmith Supporting Actor

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

17. Robert Hoffman

Yeah, that'll be great for the asbestos [​IMG]

18. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

The house has asbestos siding also, in fact, nearly every house in my neighborhood has asbestos siding. No wonder buffalos population has been cut in half since 1950.

19. KevinCL

KevinCL Auditioning

An old trick that helps and is fairly cheap. Get cheesecloth and stretch it tight and from the back cover your cold air return and your heater/ AC vents from the furnace. You will be amazed at how much dust it keeps out. Every few months you wash them out and replace the ones that rip. In my apartment days I did this and replaced the furnace filter every month in the winter and the dust was almost gone.Cost of cheese cloth is around 5 bucks. I own a house now and paid 200 bucks for an inline hepa filter and I replace the filter yearly for 40 bucks. It filters my heat and central air.When we first got the house we had the vents cleaned and it was an eye opener how much crud and dust is in your vents and duct work.

20. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

I've used three small Holmes Hepa Air Filter in my basement HT since I moved my gear down there. I place them strategically near my gear and run them constantly. I unplug them and remove them every time I fire up the system. Takes a minute or two to remove them (and a bit of a pain) but really keeps down the dust.

I also use compressed air. I bought 2 used amps recently and popped the hood and blew them clean. I also used damp paper towels and cleaned the entire inside chassis and boards(careful when around the mounted caps and such). One amp was so dusty I was shocked. An hour later it looked as NEW. The previous owner could have knitted sweaters it appears from the dust in his room. It is impossible to stop dust, but careful maintenance and Hepa filters can keep it pretty clean. .... dust never sleeps....

Hepa is the way to go.... filters are not cheap but they are worth it.

BOK