keeping input to BFD from clipping

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Ryan Tsang, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Ryan Tsang

Ryan Tsang Second Unit

I am testing with the rocket/cave scene (1:20:40) in "The Incredibles". At -8db reference, I have to set master sub volume at least -12db to get the red bar on my BFD flashing.
    I can't go any lower for master lvl calib on my AVM-20, without adjusting the sub volume by individual source. The BFD runs at -10dBv as suggested by the Snapbug website.

I have it eq'd pretty flat. I don't know how to post my chart and I don't have a host website to use. I calib everything to 75db with the AVM-20's internal test tones. Servo-15's lvl control sits at 1/4 to get 75db in my setup.

Are you guys finding the same thing here, that sub volume needs to be much lower? What if I choose to listen at reference, would I be clipping all the time? Should I take the BFD's level meter to be accurate? Obviously it's not a distorted signal on the disc, so should the BFD need to be running not at -10dBV but -20dBV for reference playback without clipping?

my corrected numbers are as follows:

18hz-79
    20hz-81.5
    22hz-82
    25hz-80.5
    28hz-82.5
    31.5hz-80.5
    36hz-80.5
    40hz-81.5
    45hz-80.5
    50hz-79.5
    63hz-80
    71hz-77.5
    80hz-78
    89hz-76.6
    falls off after this

Are you guys claiming The Incredibles to be a sub destroyer running it hot or eq with "house curve?" I'm watching the rocket liftoff over and over and it didn't really impress me. I prefer DAT's tanker hitting the underwater bus, the thump just before it switches scene (1:02:55). Not as loud, but feels deeper. Or the opening salvo from Master and Commander.

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Ryan if you want to send me your excel sheet I can host it for you. I've done what I can to limit clips on my BFD but to be honest I haven't been that worried about it as i just calibrate with the Avia disc and set the levels where they need to be.

3. Ryan Tsang

Ryan Tsang Second Unit

Andrew:

Thanks for your help. I'm not generating much interest yet so I probably don't need my chart posted. One glance at my numbers and one can tell it's pretty flat.

Is it just the two of us from Winnipeg here?

4. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

I couldn't keep my BFD from clipping at the -10dBv setting either. So I run mine on the +4dBv setting. As long as you re-calibrate everything, it should be fine.

5. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Ryan no there's well over 30 of us from the 'Peg...in fact one of the Mod's is a winnipeger as well [​IMG]

6. Max F

Max F Second Unit

I was under the impression that the opposite was true: you had to really turn up the sub level in the reciever for it to reach the linear range of the EQs DAC. Consumer products are generally lower level than pro-stuff. Anyway, i have my reciever sub level up pretty high to keep the input lights flashing and just up to clipping at max (for me) volumes.

I guess the point is to find the balance where the input lights should always come on when your playing something at low or moderate levels and just barely hit clipping at a volume you would consider the maximum you would ever want to play a movie or music at. Did that make sense? Try switching the level input to +4dBv like brian.

Wait i forgot about this write-up:
    http://www.snapbug.ws/brucekreviewofbfd.htm

7. Max F

Max F Second Unit

Actually, i just read this part again:
    I need to make sure i'm looking at the input lights only, not the output. I'll check when i get home.