What's new

Keeping foam surrounds from deteriorating? (1 Viewer)

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
What can I do to keep the foam surrounds on my speakers from deteriorating? Is there there something I can apply to them? They're Koss M/80+ speakers.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Armor-all? I wouldn't expect it to do anything for foam. It's for rubber and vinyl. It also might not be very good for the cone, depending on the material. (personally, I don't even use it on my car).

JesseR

Stunt Coordinator
what if your foam pretty much disintergrates. Any products out there to repair it. I have an old pair of advents and this thread makes me curious

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There is a place where you can buy replacement surrounds, I read about it on this forum. Unfortunately, it was some time ago, and I can't find the thread.

The same thing happened to my old floorstanders, so I just replaced the subs with some better ones.

Mike boettner

Stunt Coordinator
This is why I WILL NOT buy any speakers with foam surrounds! why pay X amount per speaker so they can just fall apart in X amount of years? But for those who already have foam speakers www.partsexpress.com sells foam repair kits. even for Advent speakers! Hope this helps!!
Mike

Greg Foan

Stunt Coordinator
I had a pair of speakers re-foamed(?) a few years back. It was relatively cheap and the speakers sounded great, although you can expect a break-in period just as you would a new set of speakers.
There are several site that describe how to DIY it, although I'm not that brave.

JesseR

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for that tip on refoaming. Figure if its not to expensive I might as well fix them up... they are a nice little pair of bookshelves

Andrew S

Stunt Coordinator
A local electronics repair shop sold me some 10" surrounds for my dad's 20+ speakers. Cost me maybe $10 total - 3 dollars for the surrounds and dust caps, 7 dollars for the glue. It is very simple to do, just make sure you do a good job... I ended up leaving glue on the cone and parts of the surround weren't totally sealed to the cone wish left a vibration when bass was played loud... This was just carelessness on my part..
So just do a good job if you do decide to do it!!! :)
Andrew

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I ended up leaving glue on the cone and parts of the surround weren't totally sealed to the cone wish left a vibration when bass was played loud...
The instructions I received with my kits from Parts Express noted that all the old, deteriorated surround material needs to be scraped off the cone and the metal frame. This insures a secure and airtight seal, and like-new performance.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks