What's new

Keeping Christmas gifts a secret... (1 Viewer)

Eric_E

Supporting Actor
Hi everyone. Around this time of year, how do you keep your friends and loved ones from buying things for themselves that you'd intended to give them as gifts, and what do you tell them if they ask you point blank?

I just bought my girlfriend a set of posters from a website, and sure enough, the very next day, she came to me, all excited about them, wanting to know if I thought she should get them. I avoided giving an answer right then, but what can you really say in this situation that won't be a dead giveaway? In the past, I've said things like, "It's not a good idea to buy a lot of stuff for yourself around Christmas," but that's too much of a giveaway itself.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

P.S. I e-mailed the seller to ask her if she would tell my girlfriend that the posters are out of stock if she asked, thereby solving my problem, but now I think the seller is suspicious of me.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
*laugh* who hasn't run into this one? For little kids, it's not an issue, for adults, it's a problem at times.

I admit, I am always blunt, so this isn't the right approach for almost anyone but me.. I normally say something like "yeah, except I told a lot of our friends this is the kind of thing you'd want for Christmas. Let's hold off and get it afterwards so it doesn't look bad."

Then again, I generally don't christmas shop until Christmas eve, so what do I know?

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Just tell her:
"We should wait to spend any money on ourselves until after Christmas to make sure that we have enough money to buy others their gifts 1st"
or
"maybe we can take any Christmas $ we recieve this year and buy ourselves the gifts we really wanted that we didn't get, you could get those posters for instance. I'd get them for you for your Christmas present if I hadn't already thought of something" ;)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Or "buy what you want, but save the receipts, and return anything duplicated in the buying spree that you get as a gift." Just don't tell the gift-giver that you already have it. :D

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I have been banned from buying stuff for myself for all of November and December. Of course, this ban is nice, as I have more money for gifts for friends and family.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Fortunately, I no longer exchange gifts, so it's not a problem.

I can buy what I want for myself. I see no difference if you buy them yourself or if someone else gives you it.

Besides, when you try to buy people good gifts & they give you left overs from basements and stuff from the dollar store, the joy of giving loses it's charm very quickly.

I dont mind giving, but I dont have Chump engraved on my forehead either.

Plus I have more money for myself which make me happier than giving gifts.

The joy of giving to me is giving myself the items I so much want and enjoy.

Plus no waiting in return lines with a bunch of goons the day after Christmas.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
To each their own. I enjoy giving people gifts that I think they'll like. The people I exchange gifts with feel similarly, so I generally get nice gifts in return. With my family, we often set a spending limit as we're all different ages with different incomes. I don't want my brother feeling guilty about giving me a CD or something when I bought him a DVD boxed set.

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
I'm giving my girlfriend THE RING for Christmas. Try keeping that one a secret!!! I went to her father over thanksgiving weekend and had to ask him not to tell his wife so that my girl wouldn't find out!

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Uhhh, given this explanation, don't you mean "the joy of getting loses it's charm..."? :D

Not being critical and I understand your disappointment, but the joy of giving has always meant just that to me - giving. I'm well paid, single and have no kids. I have brothers and sisters who have families and struggle to make ends meet. Part of the joy of Christmas is helping them out with gifts/money so I can spread my good fortune around. I could care less if I get any gifts in return, but the ones that I do get may not be expensive, but they are full of thought, love and gratitude - which makes them priceless to me.

To each his own.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I recommend making a list of 10 things she shouldn't buy that you intend to make a possible gift this way she knows she'll most likely get a gift she wants but won't know which of the items it might be. Not as good as a true prize but it prevents the disappointment of a duplicate gift. There is always gift certificates.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks