What's new

Keeping cats off the speakers (1 Viewer)

dougW

Stunt Coordinator
Strategically placed land mines? :) Hey, it could work!
Declawed, I guess Cats are ok in the house, but with claws, well, speaker grills are just to tempting for them, I would guess.
Lex

RobY

Auditioning
Until I got my new setup with smaller speakers and 31" stands, I had more trouble with my two year old than I did with the cat. My son liked to take off the speaker grills. When he decided that just taking off the grills was boring he started messing with the range dial. Then he decided to push the coil covers on my woofers in. At least the cat was content to just sleep on top of the speaker cabinet.

BTW, anybody know how to get the coil covers pulled back out without destroying them?

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
My cat is weird. He loves water. Squirting him does nothing. He has even jumped into a running shower before and just sat there.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

As for scratching my cats have always been indoor cats and have always had their front claws removed. I only do this when they are young though, same time they get fixed. They don't miss em. I've had outdoor cats declawed and they could still climb trees, catch birds and mice and enjoy a normal cat life. You just don't get the scars and monthly pint of blood loss each month. :)
My girlfriends cat isn't declawed and has poked some holes in my newly built screen. :angry: Good thing they aren't noticable from a distance and are masked over while viewing 2.35:1 material, but still I cringe when I see sunlight come through them.
Best advice though is to give them their own play space with perch and scratching post etc. Make the area around the speakers anoying or flat out scary for them (tape, noisy can, squirt bottle, tin foil, loud music) and they will choose 'their' place over 'your' place. Also helps to bribe with a little catnip. :)

WilliamB

Stunt Coordinator
I 5th or 6th the gun. Forget the water, use .45 ACP :D
Cats nearly destroyed my speakers. Fortunatly for the cats they left with my ex wife before Sam Colt was needed....

GregK

Screenwriter
I'll cast my vote for the water gun and the sticky tape

rolls as methods that have worked for me. After a cat

spends a 1/2 hour tying to get tape off their paws a few

times, that ol' speaker just doesn't seem as fun anymore.

If you must scare the cat with audio, may I suggest the

original teaser trailer for "Monsters Inc", which has a

very nice dog growl in center rear (could be re-directed

to the fronts in the stereo mode if needed). ..My cat's

hair stuck up on end and she ran for cover! I really felt

bad for her, but I had to play the clip a second time just

to be sure... :b

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I know that my cat, Zeus, whom I love dearly, thought that my speaker grills would be good to claw on. I came home one day to find that the mesh on the grill covers had been clawed up a bit. I brought him out and put his nose to the grill and gave him a quick spanking. He never touched them again. I would not recommend shooting water at them when your speakers are somewhat water sensitive.
Of course, you could always just swap speakers like I did and buy something like the Klipsch La Scala. Nothing is knocking them over and there is no grill to scratch! :)

Dan Mercier

Stunt Coordinator
My cat is absolutely terrified of the vacuum.

A little recording of that sound and playing it through the stero does wonders.

Heck even placing the vacuum in the same room keeps the cat away.

RandyRush

Stunt Coordinator
1) a pool

2) a gun

Oh well, so much for humor!

I just solved the problem by building a HT wall and having all my components and tv and speakers flush with the wall; prior to that, our cat slept on top of the sub all day, except when we got home and I fired it up; the "whump" sound scared her to death.

RobertW

Supporting Actor
i'm lucky, i guess. my cat, who is curious about everything, and who i'm trying to stop scratching my chair, has shown absolutely no interest in my speakers.

but, the water squirt, as well as a firm "no" will teach the cat to leave them alone. eventually, he'll just react to the command.

BryantH

Auditioning
We have 3 cats all with claws. To prevent them from scatching our speakers I cut 1/4" wire mesh (from any hardware store) slightly bigger than the grills. Spray paint the wire mesh black and fold the edges around the grill cover. They blend in nicely. To keep cats off the top of the speakers we simply place a picture frame or vase on top. Cats, at least ours, seldom jump to a place where a landing is unsure.

Bryant

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks