1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Keeping cats off the speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ScottAndrew, Jan 3, 2002.

1. ScottAndrew

ScottAndrew Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

Does anyone know something that keep cats off speakers? I just set up my N38s last night, and they are notorious for tipping over. They won't tip when the cats jump on them; they'll tip when they jump off. Plus the front grills are perfect for scratching. I'd take them off, because I like the look without them, but I'd hate to think what would happen if they got curious about the other parts.

We have some nasty-smelling spray, but it's good for less than 24 hours.

Thanks,

Scott

ps - they sound much better than my Kenwood HTB-503 speakers. They don't sound as loud, and I wondered if I was going deaf. But it seems that the Kenwoods emphasized the higher frequencies more, which made them sound louder.

2. Marc S Kessler

Marc S Kessler Stunt Coordinator

A little behavior modification can help. When the cat(s) gets near the speaker with the intent to scratch squirt them with a little stream of water from a water pistol. They hate water. Make sure they have a scratching post or mat for an alternative and show them the alternative everytime they scratch furniture or other stuff they shouldn't.

One of our young cats refused to learn and he just had his front claws removed. I don't normally like doing this but he's an inside cat. If it's a cat that goes outside occasionally, declawing is not recommended.

3. Dave Nibeck

Dave Nibeck Stunt Coordinator

2nd the squirt gun. Just be careful were the water is going.

4. Brandon B

Brandon B Second Unit

I "behaviorally modified" my cat a bit more severely a long time ago, and it worked. Put your cat on the speaker, or next to it. Get him comfortable (so he'll stay put for a minute). Then play something through the speakers that starts very abruptly and somewhat loudly. Repeat a few times (possibly over the course of a few days, as it's unlikely he'll go near the thing right away).

My cat decided the speaker did not like him, and always walked several feet around it for years after that. Sound was not at deafening levels or anything (even for sensitive eared cats), just loud enough to spook him.

BB

5. Paul Richardson

Paul Richardson Second Unit

Another thing to try that worked for me. Put some tape (packing tape works especially well) with the sticky side up on top of the speakers. Don't try and prevent your cats from jumping up there, just wait for them to do it. After experiencing this once, believe me...they'll never try again.

6. Bob Christensen

Bob Christensen Stunt Coordinator

Another easy behavior mod trick with cats is to place aluminum foil on the top of the speakers. They hate the sound or feel (or something) about it and will soon lose interest in jumping up. As far as the "expensive scratching post" prob: drop kick them out the door and shut it quickly [​IMG] (Just kidding, I have two cats in the house and they coexist quite nicely, even with my SVS "scratching post") [​IMG]

7. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I simply over-feed mine. They are much too fat to even think about getting more than a foot off of the ground.

Nothing worse than a kitty under a heavy bookshelf after a fall...

8. Tim Kilbride

Tim Kilbride Stunt Coordinator

BB Gun...

Just kidding, I am the owner of 4 cats. The squirt gun or water bottle is definitely the way to go. Although, the idea of scaring them with the noise is a great idea. All of my cats stay off the furniture, except the couch and the bed, and we trained them with a small squirt bottle and water.

My .02,

TK

9. Gordon C Jr

Gordon C Jr Stunt Coordinator

Get a dog..[​IMG]
    Or get a bird and strategically place the cage in another room so the cat finds another resting spot to view his wishful meal[​IMG]
    My cats luckily leave the speakers alone, however the couch corner as a scratching post is another issue

10. DarrinH

DarrinH Second Unit

Try taping some balloons to the sides of the speakers(blown up of course). I hear cats hat balloons.

11. ron_kolarovic

ron_kolarovic Auditioning

The only problem with the ballons is now you have to worry about kids!!

12. Eric_M

Eric_M Stunt Coordinator

You could always get your cat its own Home Theater setup so he can leave yours alone.

13. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

Nothing works better than double-sided tape. Cats detest it!

14. Danny Owens

Danny Owens Agent

Go to your local plant store. You will find several chemicals that bother the crap out of cats. There is one that I used to keep them out of my house plants. It's gellitin based and green. I can't remember the name of it. Anyway, it is rather potent but the smell is very local so you won't smell it more than a couple of feet away. What I did instead of putting it on top of the soil is put some in an old nylon sock and made it into a small ball(make sure your wife is done with the nylon so she doesn't get pissed [​IMG]. Then I taped a couple of them to the back of the planter. The cats immediatly stopped using it as a litter box. You may want to put a couple of strips of tape on your speaker where you mount it so it doesn't come in direct contact with the finish. Of course you would want to mount it on the backside of the speaker.
    DAnny

15. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

the "shake can" is another good one.

1. take an empty soda can
    2. load it with pennies, marbles, nuts, bolts, etc.
    3. tape the hole shut[/list=1]

everytime the cat goes near the speaker or jumps on it, shake the can really loud. after a while they should get used to not diggin' the top of your speaker.

16. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I would actually figure that putting ANYTHING on top of your speakers would stop them from getting up there. The tape is a good idea, but you also don't want to have your cat stick to the speaker and pull it down. If you use a LOT of tape, you could come home and find your cat stuck to your speaker...[​IMG]
    The pennies in a can thing works most of the time also, as does the balloon. I just don't have cats anymore, no cat/speaker issue.

17. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    Double sided carpet tape or the squirt gun are tried and true methods.I have 3 cats and it worked for me.I also have 3 dogs so the dog idea is bogus they just collaborate to destroy your speakers.[​IMG]

18. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

Shoot em

J/K

19. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    A good swift kick usually does the trick[​IMG] Just kidding[​IMG] There are several good suggestions here. Take your pick.

20. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Heheh..
    I third (or fourth?) the gun...
    [​IMG]
    Here kitty!
    I have no porblems with cats.. our "Cat" Satan is so old, he likes to stay downstairs..
    But its fun to pick him up as he makes that funny kitty screaming noise!
    Now, with dogs that different story.. I have to make sure to take the dog out and close the door, or he'll piss on my speakers..
    Now that would be terrible.
    Nathan