Keep the DV444 or Upgrade to the NS700P

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Edwin-S, Oct 19, 2001.

1. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

I have a friend who is using a Pioneer DV444. He has a week left to decide whether to upgrade to a Sony NS700P. The extra cost for the Sony is about $150 Canadian. In the specs the Sony, uses a 12 bit, 54Mhz Video DAC while the DV444 uses a 10 bit, 27Mhz DAC. He has just purchased a Sony 61HS30 and is wondering whether the NS700P would have a noticeable improvement in picture over the DV444. He is thinking the 700P might have better compatability with the TV. Does anyone think this would be the case? I, personally, don't think it would have much bearing.
    We were watching the non-Superbit version of "The Fifth Element" using the DV444 and in certain space scenes there seemed to be noticeable aliasing along diaganol lines on the ships. I am wondering if the DAC in the Sony would help to eliminate the problem? Any input on the relative merits of these two machines would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I don't claim to be a progressive-scan expert, but the Pioneer DV-444, like it's predecessor, the DV-434, is not a true progressive-scan DVD player. The '444 essentially has a line doubler, hence the 10/27 video DAC. By contrast, the Sony DVP-NS700P offers true progressive-scan video output. Hence, the 12/54 video DAC there. If spending the extra $150 CDN is not an issue, I would suggest he try out the Sony (or other comparably price progressive-scan players) at home. I would expect a true progressive-scan player to provide a better picture. Either Sound & Vision or Home Theater (I think it was the former) recently criticized the video quality of the '444, noting that it is not a true progressive-scan player.
    On a side note, I feel Pioneer really needs to get its act together here. They seem to be the only major manufacturer that is not offering a budget progressive-scan player. They need to get with the program.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

3. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

Quick response. Thanks. I actually suggseted to him that he try to get a Sony to test out. If the local Hi-Fi shop carried them, it would be no problem. Unfortunately the Sony line is carried by a big box retailer "Visions" and it isn't too easy to get them to give you a tryout at home. The line doubler solution in the DV444 might explain some of what I was seeing vis a' vis the ships in "TFE". I was expecting something a little smoother looking than what I saw. Anybody else have comments? Thanks. [​IMG]

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Edwin, I wasn't expecting a store to allow your friend to take the Sony 'NS700P home for a demo without paying for it. However, any reputable brick-and-mortar store should have a 30-day money-back guaranteer, so he could pay for it and return it if he was not happy with it.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime