Keep Marantz 9000 Pre/Pro or go Outlaw 950???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian O, Sep 18, 2002.

1. Brian O

Brian O Second Unit

I have a friend who wanted me to pass this question to the forum:

Contemplating the change from a Marantz 9000 Pre/Pro to an Outlaw 950.

I’ve got 1 day left to make a decision on buying my reserved Outlaw 950. Help me make a decision…

I have a Marantz 9000 pre/pro, and I enjoy it very well. It’s very high quality and great sound. Of course it does not have any of the 7.1 channel stuff. I have amp channels and power to push all 7.1 speakers and I also have the speakers. I’d love to go there if all the planets were aligned properly. Is the Outlaw 950 pre/pro the answer to the alignment of planets? Would I be as happy with the 950 it as I’ve been with the Marantz, or possibly happier?

Thanks for your suggestions and recommendations

2. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

He could always try it for 30 days and be out about 80 in shipping if he didn't like it (probably less since it ships from CA). At worst, he could give a review of how the 9000 compares with the 950.

3. Chris Purvis

Chris Purvis Stunt Coordinator

I'd say based on the reviews coming in it would be worth a shot.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

What Jed and Chris said. [​IMG]
    I have a Sony TA-E9000ES which is the same era as the Marantz. I'm going to try out a 950 because of the newer soundfields, and the analog inputs with bass management. The Marantz at least has 5.1 inputs, but with no bass management.
    I do not expect, and frankly I'd be a little bummed if I experienced much of a difference in pure sound quality. (I'm happy enough with the Sony in that regard.) But I want the newer soundfields and the analog crossover on the 5.1 ins for SACD/DVD-A.

5. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    I directly compared a Rotel RSP-1066 with my AV9000. From what I understand the Outlaw uses the same Cirrus Logic chipset for digital processing and the two units sound very similiar.

During my comparison I was surprised to find that overall the Marantz sounded better, expecially for 2 channel. In comparison the Rotel sounded "thin".

6. Orin Dym

Orin Dym Stunt Coordinator

The Marantz AV9000 is a great preamp. Unless you really need the extra features (7.1, adjustable crossover points) I would stay with the Marantz.

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

And, to be honest, because the 950 was running late, I did briefly consider getting an AV9000 along with an ICBM.

I already use a DPL decoder to get 6.1, and with bass management on the 5.1 analog inputs, the only thing you'd be missing is DPL II...

But I'll do the 30-day trial with the 950 and judge from there...