What's new

Keen Eddie - Full Frame?? (1 Viewer)

rudnicke

Auditioning
I saw the Keen Eddie series DVD pack at Circuit City tonight. Was all set to buy it, but then I saw it was full frame. Why don't they release these in Widescreen?

I saw Keen Eddie broadcast in Widescreen a couple of times.

--rudnicke

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
Simple, the widescreen version was created out of FOX wanting a widescreen version for HDTV. So basically Paramount decided to release to it to Full Frame because that is the way most people (who don't have HDTV) saw it (and even the producers behind it might have wanted it released in Full Frame- it happens and I have no idea whether that was why). Basically, this is going to be the only version of KEEN EDDIE on DVD (unless they want to do one for HD-DVD in a few years).

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Fox aired "Keen Eddie" in Fox Widescreen? I remember thinking it would be, but my Fox owned-and-operated affiliate never showed it that way, and they had an almost perfect record of showing 480p and 16:9 shows correctly. All of my episodes recorded off of their digital channel were 4:3. Regardless, if you were a fan, I'd pick up the set.

rudnicke

Auditioning
I'm somewhat dis-appointed with the series set.

It must be a Paramount thing to box up TV shows in 4:3 Full Frame, and not 16:9 Widescreen. Does Paramount only film in FullFrame?

What's even more disapointing about the set is they changed all the background music in the episodes. One of the things I loved most about Keen Eddie was the music, and it's all been replaced with cheesy orchestrations. Really kills the experience.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Almost without fail, Paramount releases are available in the OAR, or in the ratio that the creators intend. During the transition years from 4:3 to 16:9, television is a gray area. Most programs are framed for one ratio, but are "action safe" for the other ratio. Just because a network or affiliate airs it one way, doesn't mean it was the preferred aspect ratio.

As for the music, rights issues are sometimes unavoidable, unfortunately. Securing the rights for the music as originally broadcast, if even possible, would have significantly increased the retail price of the set - probably to the point where it wouldn't sell enough copies to make it worthwhile. At least Paramount indicates the change on the outer packaging - unlike some other studios.

For $30, I put this in the "buy" category.

-Scott

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

I second that.

I never saw the show when it aired so I wasn't aware of what the original music was like, but the show is one of the most entertaining shows I've "discovered" on DVD. So much fun.

I watched two episodes last night. Have 4 more to go and haven't disliked one of them.

Well worth picking up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks