What's new

Kazaa to use your "unused computing power and storage space"?! (1 Viewer)

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
AdAware didn't find the BDE projector program that Kazaa installed on my system. I have since switched to Kazaa Lite and I am jim dandy now.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the heads-up. Completely removing BDE is difficult. There are quite a few keys in the registry and I'm not sure I found them all.

I think I'm going to block all access to brilliantdigital.com at my company's firewall. While I'm at it, does anybody have a list of domains and/or IP address ranges for other a**holes that violate privacy through cookies (like doubleclick.net), create adware/spyware (like cydoor.com), or sponsor pop-up windows (like x10.com)? I'll block as many as I can find.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I sure wish the government would pass a freaking law against

this type of "Hidden" scam ware...

These people not only need put out of business but they also

need put behind BARS..

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I expect that in the next few days there will be many web pages that will explain how to eliminate BDE better than I can. If Ad-aware adds BDE to their search that would be great.

Delete the c:windowsbde folder and the c:windowstempbrilliant folder. There's also a bunch of files in the system folder that start with "BDE" which can be deleted, but be careful if you use Borland Database Engine because apparently it also has DLL files with the letters "BDE". Check properties of each file and if it identifies itself as coming from Brilliant Digital, nuke it.

If you know your way around regedit, look for references to the above deleted files. There are numerous keys in the classID section, plus a section called "Brilliant" and a section called "ZUpdate". And there will also be an entry in the "Run" section. Putting stuff in the Run section is Pure Evil.

Kazaa Lite is interesting. I'll bet Kazaa is not too happy with that, however, I think I read in the DMCA that it is not illegal to circumvent encryption or reverse engineer code that violates your privacy.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Buzz,

"Music Traders" in the know.. Don't use such programs to

begin with. It's much easier to log onto your nearest

Dalnet,Undernet,EFnet IRC Server and join one of the hundreds

of channels dedicated to such a thing.. No need for spy ware.

IMHO

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
What's a good efnet server these days? I can't seem to get there anymore. Undernet, dlanet just fine..but not ef.

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
"Music Traders" in the know.. Don't use such programs to

begin with. It's much easier to log onto your nearest

Dalnet,Undernet,EFnet IRC Server and join one of the hundreds

of channels dedicated to such a thing.. No need for spy ware.

IMHO

I take it you aren't in the know then? IRC is a piece of shit for getting files. I fully guarantee in a competition I could get a complete album from Audiogalaxy quicker than you could find a song. ESPECIALLY obscure songs. IRC was good for files about 7-8 years ago, it's crap now and the people on IRC are scum.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Larry,

I completly disagree.. You must be going to the wrong IRC

channels.. I have been on the net for a very LONG time and

I've seen most of it so far.. For me IRC works.. Well...

Not only can you file serv right at the IRC Client Level

but you can also establish friendships and do direct FTP

Level access.. Leech all night long...

Jeremy-P

Stunt Coordinator
I don't see the appeal in begging people on IRC when I can use audiogalaxy or grokster to get al my MP3s with one search. Sharing can also be done on grokster as well as downloading one file from multiple users for very fast downloads. You can also choose the bitrate you want and specify anything else. I can get a full album very quickly but it's usually for a cd I own that I can't find.

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
The odds of me wanting a full album are zero. Music died about 30 years ago. Well, pop music. I get live releases I couldnt buy in a store if I wanted to.

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
Here are the instructions from cnet for removing the BDE trojan horse:

1. In the Windows Control Panel, select an option called "Add/Remove Programs." One of the options will be "b3d Projector." Highlight this and click the "Change/Remove" button.

You may get a message that the uninstall has been successful. Search your computer for a "BDE" folder, which most likely will be found in the "WinNT" or "Windows" directory. In this folder will be a file called "bdeclean.exe". Run this to finish the first part of the process. Delete the BDE folder.

Caution: An unrelated piece of software called Borland Database Engine also creates a BDE directory. If you think you may have this software installed, or if there is any confusion whatsoever, do not delete this directory.

2. In the "Temp" directory (this will normally be found inside the "Windows" or "WinNT" directory) is a folder called "Brilliant." This contains many files. Delete the entire folder.

3. After performing steps 1 and 2, you will need to locate and remove some additional Brilliant Digital files that have been placed in critical system-level computer directories. CAUTION: Deleting the wrong files could interfere with the normal functioning of your computer. These files will most likely be in the "WindowsSystem" or "WinNTSystem32" folder:

bdedownloader.dll

bdedata2.dll

bdefdi.dll

bdeinsta2.dll

bdeinstall.exe

bdesecureinstall.cab

bdesecureinstall.exe

bdeverify.exe

bdeverify.dll

Delete these files.

Brian Duke

Grip
There's another file sharing tool called WinMX that claims to not have shareware and when I looked into it about a month ago, I didn't see any posts or references on the Net claiming otherwise.
- Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks