What's new

Kate $ Leopold DD dropouts.... (1 Viewer)

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Both versions are contained on the same disc.
Ahh...OK. Guess I didn't really pay attention. Where was the option for the versions? On the main menu or in a set-up menu? If it was in a set-up menu I may have missed it since I'm usually just checking that the correct sound format is selected when I enter those. If it was on the main menu, I probably selected the director's cut without even giving it a second thought.

Aaron

Tom Oh

Second Unit
Wait a minute, Region 3 that I rented did not have the Director's cut. No audio problems with Sony 9000ES. I found the film to be a bore. Must...not...let...my...wife...pick.

Veli-Matti Reitti

Stunt Coordinator
Watched the DC yesterday and didn't experience any audio dropouts but during chapter 7 (39.01) the layer froze and i had to scan it forward. I tried reversing it several times but it froze every time. I have a Pioneer DV-535 player. Have anyone else noticed this problem? A bit strange that almost everyone seem to have different kind of defects during different segments of the DVD. I am also guessing this is a seamless branching problem. What can we do? It's no use in returning the disc if the replacement is no better.

Han

Second Unit
I forgot to follow up on my previous findings. So anyway, I finally got around to watching the DC version. While it doesn't freeze at near the 14th minute and 66th minute like the theatrical version, it has the one freeze, which I think is at the same point that Veli-Matti Reitti noticed. I did notice about three quick audio dropouts throughout the movie though.

I hope there's a trade in program for this, but I'm not certain that's going to happen.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I rented this movie today, played it (Theatrical version) on my Pioneer DV-525, and experienced two audio dropouts, and a couple of freezes, where I had to hit "Play" to make it proceed. Very weird, never experienced that before. I only investigated the first audio dropout, and it came at the exact moment that turned out to be the Seamless Branching entry point to the Director's Cut (when Leopold jumps into the future, it cuts to Kate in an elevator in the Theatrical Version, but to a movie theater in the DC).
So I believe the dropout and the freezing is related to seamless branching (I didn't have problems with T2, the only other SB I've played).
I went on here to search and see if others had this problem to, just to make sure it wasn't just me. :)
/Mike

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
Just picked this up previously viewed from Blockbuster and let my mom watch the director's cut since even though I haven't seen it I thought she might as well watch that one. Anyways at around the 39:01 mark (mentioned above by Veli) she didn't experience a dropout or freeze but instead a loud buzzing sound. I thought the disc might be dirty so I took it out and cleaned it and put it in again and it still did so I switched over to the theatrical cut and played the same scene which was fine.

I wonder if this is just another variant of the problem or if the disc is screwed. If it is, I'll take it back to blockbuster tommorrow and have them exchange it. I'm going to wait untill my mom is done her viewing before trying it out on my main system. If it's fine on my Panasonic A-320 then I'll keep it.

My mom is watching it on her Pioneer DV-333.

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
Just tried the scene in question on my Panasonic A-320 and as expected it didn't have a problem.

The A-320 has never caused me any grief except for one time during the credits on the animated Clerks disc and i think Coyote Ugly might have had a minor problem during it's credits.

Users who are viewing this thread