Kate $ Leopold DD dropouts....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John_Bilbrey, Jun 13, 2002.

1. John_Bilbrey

John_Bilbrey Stunt Coordinator

Anyone else experience this when watching the movie? I noticed it several times throughout the movie. It would crackle for a second, then it would be fine. Almost like a layer change, but it happened 6 or 7 times. I guess it could be my PS2, but I haven't heard it on any other movies. BTW, it was a brand new rental unit from Hollywood Video (down with Blockbuster!)

2. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

Worked fine for me.

3. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

Onto Software...

4. Jim Reynolds

Jim Reynolds Agent

I wasn't watching the movie at the time but I walked in during a scene change at about chapter 12 when the audio dropped out,I reversed the movie back a bit and as it played forward the audio returned.I did return the movie for an exchange but haven't tried it yet.

5. Patrick G

Patrick G Second Unit

Yep, we've got a problem here. Just watched the disc on my JVC XV-SA75GD and had several dropouts. I bet the only reason this thread isn't 3 pages long by now is due to the genre of the film. Does anyone have an address we can write to about this?

6. Veli-Matti Reitti

Veli-Matti Reitti Stunt Coordinator

Damn, terrible news. I pre-ordered my copy some time ago, should recive it soon. It's going to be extremly problematic and not to mention take a long time to return it and get a new copy since i live in Finland if it's defect like you say. Well i can only hope mine will perform fine. Let me know about the outcome later on when you've contacted someone.

7. Han

Han Second Unit

I haven't gotten a chance to watch my copy yet, but the wife just called and said there was some problems. My player is still the venerable Pioneer 525.
    From what she described, they weren't exactly audio dropouts, but more like total freezes. At around 14 minutes and 66 minutes. She said she had to hit the fast forward button to "push" the movie along each time. Is this DVD a seamless brancher? Just wondering, though I've never had problems with ID4, T2, or any superbits titles, so I didn't expect it to be a problem here if Kate & Leopold actually is a seamless branching DVD. I also didn't get a chance to ask her which version she picked.
    Anyway, I'll inspect this myself this weekend, but I thought I'd bring this up as another issue to be aware of. Since this isn't a huge movie, I'm worried nothing may get fixed if it's an issue with the way the DVD is mastered.[​IMG]

8. Ernesto Santos

Ernesto Santos Stunt Coordinator

Patrick,
    Are you suggesting that Kate & Leopold is a, hum, a Chick-Flick, and that these types of movies are seen only by the, "gulp", female population, and that said population is, (uh, uh, oh my goodness) audio/video technology challenged, and that they would not be able to recognize audio drop outs? [​IMG]

9. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Can people with a problem post their players? We're thinking of picking this one up tonight or tomorrow (before it goes off sale) and we have a Panny RP91.

Thanks!

10. Patrick G

Patrick G Second Unit

11. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

No dropouts on my player Sony 7000.

12. Han

Han Second Unit

After a little bit of inspection this morning, the pause that happens at 13:52 does in fact happen everytime in the original version. All I had to do is either press scan forward and the movie continues.

Going back and selecting the Director's Cut, it's not the same scene at 13:52, so I had to search a little to find that same scene. When I got to it, I let it play, and it played right through without a hitch.

I haven't checked the other freeze at around the 66 minute mark yet. If I find the same thing, I'll just chalk it up to this being the first seamless branch DVD that my old player doesn't handle flawlessly, and just deal with it until BV/Miramax does something about it (if they do).

13. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

I have upwards of 500 DVD's and have NEVER experienced a layer freeze or audio dropout..... that is, till Kate & Leopold. I had 2 dropouts.

BTW my player is a Pioneer Elite DV-05.

Herb.

14. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

Were u watching the director's cut? Maybe it was a seamless branching problem?

15. Patrick G

Patrick G Second Unit

I was watching the theatrical version.

16. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    No audio problems watching the Director's cut on my Sony 360.
    Charming film too.[​IMG]

17. Jenna

Jenna Second Unit

18. Patrick G

Patrick G Second Unit

This may be a problem with the theatrical cut then.

19. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

No audio dropouts reported by my girlfriend on the Director's Cut. Not sure when I'll have time to check the theatrical cut. Panasonic RP91.

20. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron
    No problems here. I rented the movie this last week. I'm not sure which version it was, I just took the only one at the video store. Denon 2800.

Aaron