What's new

Kate Bush is BACK!! (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
It's possible that it was released long ago, like in 1999, in limited numbers and is now long out of print. I seem to remember seeing the disc.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member

I do believe the song "The Dreaming" is about the Australian outback, and the exploitation of the aborigines. Part of the landscape soundscape included Australian instruments (such as the Didgeridoo) and Australian animals. As far as I know, when you want something done, you go get people who can do it well. Going by vague things I've read, Percy Edwards is quite well-known for his animal impressions. Since it's quite expensive and a pain to get real animals in from halfway across the world, someone who could do faithful animal impressions would come in really handy. So they hired him, he did his thing (quite well, to my ears) and here you are, saying that hiring the man was the "final straw" for you and some of your buddies? Why? That makes no sense to me.

Is it Kate using animal noises on an album track that bothers you, her using *fake* animal noises on an album track that bothers you, or is there something about Percy Edwards specifically you don't like? I've never heard of the guy outside the context of Kate's album, so tell me if there's something about him I should know so I can change my opinion about how much I love the song because she used this guy you don't like to make sheep noises.

"final straw"? *shakes head smiling*

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Doug, I agree that Kate uses a lot of different voices. She plays characters in most of her songs, so the character determines the voice. I can only think of a handful of songs where Kate sounds little/young girlish, and perhaps, as in the case of "Wuthering Heights" and "Under The Ivy," she's meant to be a young or little girl.

Jason, it confuses me that your wife thinks Kate sounds like a little girl on The Sensual World, since that's a very serious, grown-up album. Only one song, "Rockets Tail," is meant to be from the point of view of a child. I love that album. Perhaps she might like Aeriel.

Philip and Bob, believe me, we are so entrenched in the fandom that if The Line, The Cross & The Curve had been released anywhere in the world on DVD, we'd own a copy. We bought her first released video compilation, The Single File from Japan back in 1984. We bought the laserdisc of TLTC&TC from Virgin Megastore in London when it was released. The fandom is vast, and worldwide. If it existed in an official state anywhere, we'd know. It was scheduled to be released at one time, and several places geared up by putting an info page up, but then it was cancelled.

Of course, we're all hoping that Kate will finally get her videos, all of them, released officially on DVD after the release of Aerial.

It's a myth that she's afraid to fly. It hurts her ears, and it's too painful to do often. She has come over here several times for appearances and vacations, but she always took the Concorde because it was quicker (we met her once at the airport). I don't know if she'll come at all now that the Concorde is gone.

She's only ever done one tour, in the UK and Europe, in 1979. *boo hoo*

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Agreed, they, and of course the magnificent The Dreaming are masterpieces. Everybody's fascination with The Hounds of Love baffles me, though. It's an OK album, but nothing more, to me.

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor

Ah, sorry to further perpetuate that myth. I've heard it several times about her. I stand corrected yet again...

Maybe we need Mythbusters to tackle this one?

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

My wife hasn't listened to The Sensual World, just what gets played in the general population and on XM. To be honest, she hasn't gone that deep into her to find out, but what she has heard doesn't encourage her. It is probably more of an issue that she has with Tori Amos, which I'm a bigger fan, and play more often.

Unfortunatly, I'm not a big fan of Kate, so I'm less likely to try to educate her, since I only own the one CD, and I'm probably not likely to buy another one unless there is something from the new album that catches my fancy.

Jason

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Ug, she's one of us. I'll bet she gets horrible sinus headaches when the weather changes. I know exactly what she's talking about because I and my brother are built the same way. Ear Planes help but don't always stifle the excruciating pain that some of us get with the pressure changes. I despise flying because of it!

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
I'm trying to figure out if there's a single disc as well as the 2-disc release of Aerial.

This one says 2 discs, and the label is Sony:
Amazon listing

This one says 1 disc, and the label is Columbia:
Deep Discount CD listing

I think DDD just has it listed as 1 disc by mistake, and I know Columbia & Sony are merged. Are these two the same?

Doug

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I think it is one and the same. The album is a double album from the articles I've seen. Columbia is a subsidiary of Sony.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
I sort of lost interest in KB after her 3rd or 4th album-it just got too bland IMHO. And why are her videos not on DVD?
I still have the very deluxe Japanese 9 CD box THIS WOMANS WORK-which has the kick inside cover of KBs ample rack and pouty lips-while in a tight pink Tank top, and I still have my Japanese laserdisc of 'KB Live at Hamersmith Odeon'

I always like to get UK copies of UK artists (actually ALL artists) and
for $20 delivered, you can get what I presume is the EMI-UK version of ARIEL:
http://www3.cd-wow.us/detail_results...uct_code=21765
it is 2 disc.

CD WOW is a very reliable and friendly site out of the UK, with a US site for dealing in USdollars$...

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

I am outraged and disgusted by this statement. Everyone knows it was a leotard. ;)

I too have often wondered where the DVD of the greatest hits is. If memory serves correctly, wasn't this promised some time ago along with remasters + bonus tracks of all her albums a la the Hounds of Love re-release?

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member

Wow, that's bizarre to me. Her first two albums were original and unique, but still fairly mainstream. She started really pushing the envelope on her 3rd album Never Forever which has all kinds of strange things on it, such as the anti-nuclear mini-epic "Breathing" and an anti-war song sung to a lilting waltz ("Army Dreamers").

Then for her 4th, The Dreaming she threw away the envelope. It's the most UN-bland album I can imagine. If you think The Dreaming is bland, with (brilliant) experimental bizarreness like the song "The Dreaming," "Sat In Your Lap," "Pull Out The Pin" (it's from the point of view of a Viet Cong, for heaven sakes!), "Get Out Of My House" (inspired by the book The Shining), "Leave It Open" and "There Goes A Tenner" (about a bank robbery gone horribly wrong), I can't even imagine what you would consider not-bland. Death-metal punk? :D

Unless, you mean that her albums *after* the 4th are too bland, in which case I'd have to say well, yes, *in COMPARISON* to The Dreaming, but IMO are worth every ounce of effort to learn to appreciate them on their own terms. The Dreaming is my All Time Favorite Album (not just by her, but by anybody), as I've said, but I wouldn't want to do without any of the others.

The "B-side" of Hounds of Love, the epic "The Ninth Wave" is as good as just about anything on The Dreaming. It's very cinematic. I love the albums that came after too. They're different, but have their place in her catalog and are treats to listen to, depending on what kind of mood I'm in. I dearly love The Sensual World and think of it as a Fall, Sunday morning kind of album. Even then, it rewards intense listening with layers of music and interesting lyrics. Not every song can be genius on high, but her worst songs are still better than most other people's best songs. In my opinion, of course.

As a het female I really don't care about her "rack" but she is beautiful, yes. Even if I never saw her at all though, the music is the important thing. When I became a fan, via a tape compilation, I fell HARD within the first 10 seconds of "Wuthering Heights." It was months before I even saw a picture of her, so her beauty was just icing on the cake.

I need to find a country that's releasing the album in a non-copy-protected form. I just hate paying money to record companies that insist on treating me like a criminal because I want to rip my CD to mp3 and listen to it on my computer and mp3 player. My principles will be sorely tested with this album. I refuse to buy copy-protected albums, but...but...it's KATE! I have to find a solution before November. If I have to I'll import the LP and rip mp3s from it. Well, I'll buy the LP anyway, but that was going to be a bit further down the road.

I want to support Kate, and I want all the artwork and goodies that come with having the actual CD. I don't want to support nasty copy-protection.

What to do what to do?

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Behold beauty! Kate Bush, circa 2005

Still stunning at 47. These are the first new pictures we've seen of Kate for years.

We think this next one has something to do with a video. Speculation.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
note that I said AFTER the 3rd or 4th;
I find THE DREAMING good, but I think KICK and NEVER FOREVER stand out for me.

Interesting note-on the Japanese CD cover, EMI-Toshiba elected not to show the cover of NEVER FOREVER, due to obscenity contraints!
So it has 2 covers-an outer cover with a detail of the cover blown up, (fishes, frogs or whatever)and then the Tornado out of her skirt cover under;

I think the LP cover was untouched, except they used the Obi to keep things slightly covered;

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member

Yes. :frowning: To hell with them though. If I can't make mp3s for my computer, because that's how I usually listen to music nowadays, I'll find a crack. If I can't find a crack I'll buy the LPs and make mp3s from it. Well, I plan to buy the LP anyway, just for the cover art. I hadn't actually planned on hooking up the turntable to *listen* to it though. But I will if I have to.

The record companies are encouraging law-abiding citizens to break the law just to listen to music. Nice. God record companies suck. Hackers eat copy-protection for breakfast, so it only hurts the average listener.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
There's a review of Aerial in today's (London) Times. The following link works at the moment, but I don't know how long it will stay up for.

The review is mixed - the reviewer seems to think some of the work is up to her best, whilst other songs are ahem, not as good.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member

Why the "ahem"?

It's a fairly positive review for only 3 stars! It seems like they don't like only a few songs and I take the opinion of someone who's only listened to it once with a huge grain of salt. Kate's nothing if not subversive, and in my experience the more you listen, the more things are revealed. Now I can't wait to hear "Nocturn." If they call it "dreaded" I have a feeling it's going to be wonderful.

Look at all the bad reviews The Dreaming got (in England that is. American reviewers got what she was up to and loved it, oddly enough) and it's brilliance encapsulated.

I'm beside myself with anticipation.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

I think some of the more negative comments in the review are Brit understated criticism.

However, I think that on the whole it was a good review (and to be honest, pretty much what I'd anticipated it to be like). In my experience, anything that gets three stars in The Times is generally pretty good (a five star review is very rare). I think the last couple of sentences of the review are very well expressed sentiments.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
I guess you already know that if you go to www.katebush.com you can see the video for The King Of The Mountain there. I didn't even know album artists like Kate even made videos anymore, the only music station I get is MTV, they sure don't play stuff like that, but I guess there are stations besides MTV that actually do, I just wish I could get those stations...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks