Karoke using HT equpment?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by ericLee, Oct 1, 2003.

1. ericLee

ericLee Stunt Coordinator

Is anyone using there systems for karaoke? I'm curius cause i can't seem to use karaoke without getting a lot of distortion. I have a LD player by pioneer and another cd bassed played and they both distort easily. I'm using a marantz 6300 hooked up to a 140X3 amp. my speakers are supposed to put out 150 watts rms. Is it supposed to do this? What i mean by distort is when someone is singing and then when you raise your voice on songs it starts to break up and the signal overload lights up on the marantz. anyone else have this problem?

2. Kevin_R_H

Kevin_R_H Stunt Coordinator

Eric,

My wife (who is from Taiwan), uses our Family Room HT for Karaoke all the time. It is a JVC VCD player with 2 microphone inputs. She and her friends play/sing at pretty loud volumes without any problem. We have also hooked wireless microphones into the JVC - again, no problem.

In your system, if there is no distortion with "music only", perhaps there is a problem with the microphone itself, or maybe the input path of the microphone signal. Do you use the same microphone regardless of source input (LD based player and CD based player)?

Good luck,
    Kevin

3. cacu

cacu Stunt Coordinator

I agree that the Mic is probably the first thing I would check. Also check your reverb/echo settings if you have one.

4. ericLee

ericLee Stunt Coordinator

I have 2 mics and they both distort on both machines. There is no distortion while listening to music. I have echo settings and they are set to half or lower, even at no echo it still distrots. It's strange, I used to use a 70's era intergrated amp that puts out 80 watts pc, and we used old AR11's from the 70's that had the midrange decayed and woofer minus surround and had no problems at all. Infact the police was dispached once to stop the singing cause it was so loud. This was maybe about 7 years ago, now i have a new reciver and speakers. I have access to a new mic maybe i'll try it. But why would the siganal overload light up all the time on the reciver? Is it because there might be a mismatch in voltage in the signal? The LD player is made by Pioneer and it was designed for home use not pro use so i don't think it could be that. -eric

5. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Eric,

I have 2 Pioneer karaoke LaserDisc players and another Sony karaoke CD player hooked up to an old Sony integrated amp, and I think both your speakers and your receiver are being overloaded. What kind of speakers do you have? Have you measure the sound level being generated by the singers using a sound level meter? Both the Pioneer LaserDisc players and the Sony CD player function like regular components; all processing (like key changes or level of echo applied) takes place within the players. Oh, are you running your system in stereo or in surround sound? Sounds like you are over-stressing your amp.

6. cacu

cacu Stunt Coordinator

I don't think the signal overload mean that your amp or speaker is overloaded. It just mean that you are setting your mic volumne too high or your volumne is set too high on the karaoke processor. I've seen this in the past with my setup. So I turn down the volume on the karaoke processor way down and crank the volumne on the receiver up to compensate for it.

Another thing you can do is keep turning the karaoke processor volumne down while singing until the overload signal goes out.