What's new

Karloff-Lugosi Collection from Shout? (1 Viewer)

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Kingdom of the Spiders is Code Red technically, but they don't have a distribution arm, so Kino is handling it.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
The price is higher because these films aren't exactly in the same league, as far as popularity goes, of the Classic Monsters films. I'm sure it wasn't cheap for Shout to license them and they need to make their money back in an ever-shrinking market for physical releases. Sadly, I suspect we'll see more and more niche releases from these smaller labels costing more money in order for the releasing company to make any money off of them. It is what it is. Shout is usually pretty good about including supplements on their sets that cost more, so I have no reason to doubt that this will be the case in this instance.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
This is a dream come true. The Black Cat is a stunning film. It's pricey though. For that, they better add a lot of extras. Shout Factory, if you're listening, please let David Del Valle do the commentary!

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/the-boris-karloff-bela-lugosi-collection?product_id=7039
Unfortunately Shout Factory is always pricey and their titles very rarely available at good sale prices of under $18.00 unlike most of the other boutique labels.

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
$55 if ordered directly from Shout. Four movies, likely with extras. That's $13.75 per movie at that price. Really not bad. If this were a laserdisc box set... :)
If my memory is correct, Universal put out The Black Cat and The Raven as a double feature laserdisc with each of the films time-compressed to allow for one movie per CLV side. So you'd be paying up to hear Karloff and Lugosi sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks! ;)

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
If my memory is correct, Universal put out The Black Cat and The Raven as a double feature laserdisc with each of the films time-compressed to allow for one movie per CLV side. So you'd be paying up to hear Karloff and Lugosi sound like Alvin and the Chipmunks! ;)
And for $40!

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
I have the old Universal DVD set of these and they are all on disc. Definitely worth an upgrade, but wow that cover art is terrible...

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Bumped back to June 18.
And now a title change to "Universal Horror Collection: Volume I". With Volume II getting announced next month (C'mon, Murders In The Rue Morgue and Night Monster).

From Scream's Facebook page:
**NEW TITLE CHANGE**

As some of you know already, we recently moved the release date of the Boris Karloff/Bela Lugosi Collection into June. The reason we needed to do this was to sort out some unexpected developments that presented themselves after we announced the project. Which also brings us to the following…

We have had to change course on our art and as to what we call the set. Going forward it will be known as the UNIVERSAL HORROR COLLECTION: VOLUME 1 with the new artwork that you see listed here. We tried everything we could to preserve Joel Robinson’s beautiful illustration, but we couldn’t come to a solution to keep it unfortunately.

The content inside the set (4 films including The Black Cat, The Raven, The Invisible Ray and Black Friday) are all intact. Packaging will still include slipcase and a booklet. Extras will be announced the next month.

Additionally, we can report today that we will be announcing VOLUME II next month that will include 4 more classic Universal films. Be on the lookout as to what they will be soon!

Thank you for your understanding and support on this unique turn-of-events. Pre-order now VOLUME 1 @ https://www.shoutfactory.com/…/the-boris-karloff-bela-lugos…

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Agree that the cover art is ghastly, but since a Vol. II is already on its way, one can only cheer loudly, as this will not be the end of the line for a 'definitive' collection, but rather, the beginning of a beautiful friendship, certain to yield more vintage goodies along the way. Who can frown upon or say 'no' to that?!?!

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Agreed that new cover art is completely uninspiring generic as hell, at least when it was the Karloff & Lugosi collection they had an artist come in and do a mock-up not the greatest but at least the effort was there. If they are going to steal ideas and use poster artwork, why don't they why didn't they kind of match the old universal double feature ones that Universal originally had out on DVD or copy the style of the Classic Horror Archive collection.

Hopefully this bodes well for many more great releases, but at least I hope they keep certain items separate from each other. if they get control of the inner sanctum mysteries I would like that to be released just as a single set by itself instead of intermixed with the other horror titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks