What's new

Karloff and Lugosi in The Raven and Black Cat on DVD (R4) (1 Viewer)

James Reader

Screenwriter
Available in Australia is a Boris Karloff Trilogy (promisingly subtitled volume 1) - see here for the information via EzyDVD.
The disc includes 'The Black Cat', 'The Raven' and 'The Mummy'. While the writeup on the back of the case indicated that the Raven is the Roger Corman film from the mid-sixties, it is in fact, like 'The Black Cat' and 'The Mummy' a classic Universal Horror from the thirties.
Of course, Universal have chosen not to release any more of their classic horror titles this Halloween season. The Black Cat and The Raven are unavailable on DVD.
The films are in adequate condition - the sound on all three has an almost constant loud hiss; with the Black Cat perhaps being the worst offender. Those who complained about the print and sound quality of the last batch of Classic Monster DVDs may have a slightly harsher opinion, but I'm simply happy to have both unreleased films in my collection. Considering the disc costs less than £4.00 (aprox $5 US) who can complain that much?
However, looking at the case, I can see no evidence of a copyright for Universal, though it does state that 'the copyright proprietor has licensed the film...' without naming the company.
Is this release licensed from Universal Studios? Surely the films are not in the public domain, especially The Mummy?
Hopefully we'll see at least one more Karloff collection, and perhaps a Lugosi disc in the future - and more, top quality, feature packed Classic Monster releases from Universal themselves next year.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Considering the disc costs less than £4.00 (aprox $5 US) who can complain that much?
Anyone who doesn't want to watch a public domain version of a film, I suspect. A$10 for 3 films on DVD. I can just imagine the source print and work that went into restoring and transferring these films to DVD.

James Reader

Screenwriter
Anyone who doesn't want to watch a public domain version of a film, I suspect. A$10 for 3 films on DVD. I can just imagine the source print and work that went into restoring and transferring these films to DVD.
Julian you get what you pay for, everyone acknowledges that. Or in this case, you don't being as Universal have deemed the films unworthy of release.

Like I said, I'm simply happy to have these films on disc. While Universal continue to release pointless 'Ultimate Editions', re-releases of trash like 'The Grinch' and unspectacular releases of flagship movies like 'E.T.' I'll quite happily pay less than £1.25 for (unremarkable) copies of their Classic Horror films when there appears to be no sign of an Universal release.

By the way, are you certain that these are public domain releases?

I seem to remember Universal manages to block public domain releases of 'White Zombie' and 'Island of Lost Souls' in the US. How could they do this, if the films are in the public domain?

If the above mentioned films are public domain doesn't that give Universal *more* incentive to release their own copies, rather than just sitting on them as they are now?

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
By the way, are you certain that these are public domain releases?
At $10 for 3 films, I'd bet my house on it. The Mummy has already been released by Universal in the US, complete with an audio commentary and documentary. However, I think it has been deleted. If you have a decent HT set-up, public domain releases can be almost unwatchable. I'd resist until I saw a review.

James Reader

Screenwriter
I feel it is worth pointing out that these films are almost never shown on TV in the UK (although the BBC did run a short season of Universal horror films last Christmas) - indeed, I have never seen either 'The Black Cat' or 'The Raven' until I received this disc.

I have all of the Universal Monsters discs released to date (including 'It Came From Outer Space' which was originally to be released as part of the series) and the the purchase of this disc would not stop me from buying the films again should Universal release them themselves; especially if the supplements matched those found on Universal's first two waves of Monster releases.

So in the meantime, all I find are snotty comments, simply because i purchased a cheap disc containing two films that I have been wanting to see for literally years and years and then had the audacity to mention my find on this forum in case others find themselves in the same boat as I was in - waiting for Universal to release the films themselves - which in all honestly is not going to happen until September 2003 (if we're lucky).

I am happy that I found this disc, and I would expect that there may be a few others who like me are willing to pay a small amount of money to see these films for the first time.

Roland Wandinger

Stunt Coordinator
My copy arrived last week. These seem to be the old LDs copied to DVD. I have the Cat/Raven NTSC LD and the PQ looks similar. I haven't made an A/B comparison yet though.
I don't have the Mummy on LD only the R1 Universal DVD which looks a lot better than this R4 release:
http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/220834/id=pIqfV:cseQZ
Considering the price, AU$ 10.-- you can't go wrong and it's definitely worth mentioning.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks