Karen Sisco Series Premiere - 10/01/03

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Kevin Porter, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter Supporting Actor

This looks to be a good show. It's based on the film "Out of Sight" which is based on the Elmore Leonard of the same name. But, there is a rift in the time space continuum in a way. In Out of Sight, Michael Keaton has a small role as the FBI agent Ray Nicolette, a character also in the movie Jackie Brown which was also based on an Elmore Leonard novel. But Robert Forester played bailbonds man Max Cherry in Jackie Brown. But in this show he plays Karen's father who was played by Dennis Farina in the movie. Of course this could be attributed to the two different Elmore Leonard universes: TV and Film because Jennifer Lopez is not reprising the title role. It still looks good. By the way, what is the song used in the promos? I'm sure I've heard it a million times but I don't know the name.

2. Michael Hughes

Michael Hughes Second Unit

I am looking forward to this show the most this season, I have High Hopes.

3. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    This one has gotten the best reviews of the season, and it'll be a pleasure to watch Gugino & Forster every week. Looking forward to it as well.

4. Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter Supporting Actor

Well, just wanted to bump the thread up. We are just an hour away from the series premiere. I can't wait.

5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Neither can I. Looks like ABC might finally have something decent on their hands.

6. Don S

Don S Stunt Coordinator

I enjoyed the premier. I thought the plot was pretty good, the pacing was good,and Carla Gugino looked great, especially in HD.[​IMG]

7. Wayne W

Wayne W Stunt Coordinator

I liked the premier as well and have high hopes for the series. Speaking of people involved in the show that have been in movies based on Elmore Leonard's work Danny DeVito (executive producer) was in the movie Get Shorty. I really loved Get Shorty, Jackie Brown, and Out of Sight. All of them had different styles, but seemed to work with the material for me. So far I like the feel of this new show.

I've watched it this week to try and decide if I should drop Law & Order for this show and I think it is a no-brainer. So for this time slot it's going to be Angel and Karen Sisco.

8. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

After watching the premier, all I can say is "I LIKE IT!!" [​IMG]

Carla Gugino looked great. Period.

9. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

I liked it. Especially the realistic treatment of what happens when you get shot while wearing a flak jacket. Very few shows or movies do that.

10. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

Probably won't get this on our shores for a while, I didn't even know about it until this thread. I'm a huge fan of Out of Sight, is the show in the same vein as that film?

11. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

12. Rob P S

Rob P S Screenwriter

rob
    I liked it a lot. "Law & Order" may have finally met its match.

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

A good start, though I thought the pacing was a little slow at times. I look forward to more of this show. And amen to watching this show in HD. [​IMG]

14. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

Wow! I was very surprised. Carla Gugino acted (and looked) great in this episode. Much better than The One, which almost made me pass on this. It was funny seeing Max Cherry in Farina's place, and I think it works better with entirely fresh faces. HD quality was magnificent, too, and the DD5.1 didn't hurt!

Didn't I see Barry Sonnenfeld in the credits somewhere? I know he directed Get Shorty, and I was pleasantly surprised to see he had a hand in this.

15. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Barry Sonnenfeld also was an executive producer on the Elmore Leonard-based "Maximum Bob", which was a summer series a few years back that pulled in pretty decent ratings, but never got the pick-up it deserved for some reason.

Regards,

16. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Didn’t work for me at all. The show was a big disappointment. I found the main character rather bland and one-dimensional. Reviews noted Karen’s “sharp sense of humor” – guess I somehow missed that. I personally found her character to be a little dark and brooding.

In addition, the story wasn’t terribly interesting. Plus I have a hard time believing that someone with tendencies to hop in the sack with virtual strangers - who turn out to be shady characters, no less - would have what it takes to be a federal marshal.

Maybe something else I missed something along the way, but I never did figure out what was up with her father (taking all those pictures of the guy in the wheel chair). It wasn’t until after the show, when I read the review from the local newspaper, that I learned that he was a private investigator.

I noted in the same review that the producers are proud of their “everyman” bad guys: “One thing you’ll never see on our show is the archetypical, grim-faced bad guy,” said executive producer Michael Dinner. However, last night’s bad guy was so not archetypical that I didn’t buy him as a bank robber for a minute.

Actually, I found whatever it was her father was doing with the guy in the wheel chair much more interesting than Karen’s storyline – had much more of that great, quirky “Get Shorty” feel. Play up that angle and we’d have an interesting show here.

I may give it a few more views, though. The previews for next week’s show looked intriguing.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

17. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Wayne, have you seen "Out of Sight"?

18. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    No.

19. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Well, it might help in explaining Karen's character flaws. [​IMG]

20. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    I liked the show too.
    I am going to be watching every week.
    Bland characters??? Have you watched Law and Order lately?
    I thought Karen was a terrific character. The idea that the character is flawed makes me like her even more.

I hope ABC sticks with it and doesnt cancel it for another Bachelor show but reading the article I posted below gives me hope that ABC knows it has something good on its hands.

USA to Repurpose ABC's 'Karen Sisco'
    By Brian Ford Sullivan

CHICAGO (thefutoncritic.com) -- USA has added ABC's new fall drama "Karen Sisco" to its repurposing list. Viewers can catch a replay of the series, which airs Wednesdays at 10:00/9:00c on ABC, the following Friday at 12:00/11:00c on the cable channel beginning October 10.