What's new

Karel Zeman, plus Russian sci-fi...? (1 Viewer)

ScottFH

Stunt Coordinator
I am wondering if anyone has ideas for DVD and/or VHS sources for the work of Czech film-maker Karel Zeman...?

also,

looking for same for Russian science fiction films like "Ikarie XB-1" (aka "Voyage to the End of the Universe")... or for that matter, any science fiction films from former Eastern Bloc countries...

Many thanks!

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
As far as Russian sci-fi goes, one of the obvious choices is Tarkovsky's Solaris. Also, one of my favorite films ever is another rather obscure Russian sci-fi black comedy Kin-Dza-Dza, directed by Daneliya. Don't know if it's available in a dubbed/subbed version, but it's a great film.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
As for "Ikarie XB-1", it doesn't look like the DVD Savant, Glenn Erickson, has reviewed it, so it probably isn't out on DVD yet.

Doing a search of his reviews on DVD Talk would probably turn up some Russian Sci-Fi. I know he's reviewed more than just Solaris, so I know more exist on DVD...

Jason

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Tarkovsky's Stalker is available on DVD. Some also consider Heart Of a Dog to be Sci-Fi. Both are available from RBC MP3. Kin-Dza-Dza is also listed there, but doesn't appear to have English subtitles. Of the three, I would suspect only Stalker (Ruscico) has a decent video transfer, the other two may be underwhelming.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't consider Heart of a Dog sci-fi at all, but it's a great film nonetheless. Highly recommended, as is Kind-Dza-Dza.

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
Some of Zeman's fantasy oriented films were released on video back in the 80's. Most are out-of-print, but can still be found if you are persistent and check out some old video stores or on ebay. Some titles that were released back in the day on video were "Fabulous World of Jules Verne" (VCI), "Baron Munchausen" (Video City), "On the Comet" (Best Film & Video), and "Journey to the Beginning of Time" (Goodtimes). I believe a beautiful remastered print of "Jules Verne" was reissued on VHS in the Wade Williams collection a few years back. I would love to see that one on DVD some day.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
I remembered a couple more, based on the sci-fi novels by Alexander Belyaev, also by Ruscico — Amphibian Man and Professor Dowell's Testament.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks