What's new

Karate Kid (1 Viewer)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
It might be my imagination, but over the last half-dozen years I have seen movies advertised on the tube that haven't been on in years, and a month or two after that, they get released! I hope that is the case here, because I'd buy - first day out.

Glenn

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Darn it! I missed that ESPN Classic showing again! Anyone have any interesting or funny recollections of what Kove, Morita, and Macchio had to say? Did Avildsen participate, as well?

C'mon Columbia, where is this one already?!

Incidentally, Macchio is set to star with "Sopranos" star Michael Rispoli in a new off-Bway show "Magic Hand Freddy." See Daniel-san live and in-the-flesh! :)

Jon

"This is a karate dojo, not a knitting class!"

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Columbia now - Warner bros of three years ago: i.e. the worst major studio for DVD releases. Even Universal is beginning to improve, but Columbia simply sucks.

BryanV

Stunt Coordinator
Columbia has participated in a chat, MGM has not. I think that Columbia has done a great job on some things. The did well with some classics like Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and they actually put out decent versions of Jackie Chan's old movies that have been misrepresented by bargain basement companies releases for years.

I searched the web and check some resources to find that according to some Karate Kid was filmed with the method that Cameron uses where you actually letterbox the film to get the w/s effect. In other words the copy we see is not Pan and Scan but I do agree that the w/s anamorphic that region 2 claims to have would be preferable.

Karate Kid is on my Top Ten list and I think it needs a boxed set similar to the one Rocky got.

ChrisYK

Stunt Coordinator

Sorry for being off-topic, but reading this, I had to ask... is that guy that played Doogie Howser's best friend now in the Sopranos?

BryanV

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder if those guys are actually children of Dick Clark. It is kinda freaky that two Italian dudes with New York accents that look a decade younger then they actually are have gotten toghether.

Is it the subject of the play?

BTW there is a listing of all the chat logs since chats have been done and that is what I was going by. That does not mean that they have posted every chat tho. I am new here. I would love to give MGM a request as one of my favorites is under there banner. (1938) The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.

I just checked and both Columbia and MGM have had chats but only once each.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
I sold off my copy ages ago although this is one of my all-time favorite movies. It deserves no less than OAR-anamorphic and lots of bonus materials. The actors seem to be ready and willing to discuss it.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Just resurrecting this thread to say it's time for an SE release of this (and all) the Karate Kid titles. One of the best films of the 1980s with a great story for the kids. Come on, Columbia!

Mark Basile

Stunt Coordinator
I find it both odd and entertaining that Columbia has released three, and sometimes four, different versions of certain movies while The Karate Kid still hasn't gotten even a halfway decent "special edition". It has to be coming fairly soon if Columbia wants to try and sell the movie to those of us who have been waiting for OAR before Blu-Ray hits in a couple of years. You know, first a bare-bones anamorphic with 5.1 sound, then the Superbit, then the two-disc Superbit Deluxe Collector's Edition. DVD has been around for seven years. It's a little late to start that cycle for The Karate Kid, so just skip to the Superbit Deluxe and be done with it.

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor
I'd love a nice SE version of Daniel getting stomach punched over and over again. This movie is the height of unintentional comedy. A gem that desearves a great release. The intro beach scene when he 1st gets beat up is still a gold mine. Johhny beats Daniel up (after Daniel tries some of his "karate" out on him) and also destroys Ali's stereo for no reason at all, then blames her for it. The fact that he wins that tournament with the most telegraphed of kicks is also great. Almost as great as when he tries it in the 2nd film and gets denied. Hilarious stuff...I all but demand a double dics, maybe even a box set of the trilogy (yes, trilogy, The Next Karate Kid never happened).

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
They just dont care, and no matter what anyone says, they will continue to re-release P&S versions of whatever they want.>>>

Then I'll just continue to avoid buying them. I'd love to see all three on special edition DVD. I really like to watch the second one at least once a year...

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
Karate Kid II holds up well, I think. I always liked that one and the first one the best.

I didn't mind the story of part III. It provided some nice closure to some of the characters and storyline in part I. The execution wasn't always there though.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The first two were great. I guess I wouldn't mind having the third one if I could find it cheap, but it wasn't very good. I'm glad they stopped there. I can just see if they made a fourth one, they would probably replace Daniel with a girl or something. That would have been lame.

John*P

Second Unit
I could be wrong, but I think all the current Karate Kid DVDs (all four movies) are out of print. I can't find them in any store around here, (and I've been to several) and Amazon is all out of stock. I don't even think Columbia sells them on their web site anymore. I can only hope they plan on re-releasing them all in a box set? I own the original KK on VHS, but my copy is getting old and tired. C'mon Columbia, get on the ball; at least give us a SE of the original KK!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks