What's new

Karate Kid Remake? Starring Will Smith Jr! (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
People, we're talking THE KARATE KID here and not CASABLANCA. I love TKK but.... In fact this thread has made me want to go back and watch all four.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

As for some saying kids should already want to watch TKK, yeah right. That's like saying people in their 60s should want to listen to Master P.

As someone "young", I find it a lot easier to get my younger friends to try classic films than older ones. It's my older friends/family who are hard headed in their ways and refuse to try anything new and instead just watching stuff they've been watching the past thirty years. With my younger friends, they'll at least try something different.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

Casablanca bored me the 3 times I watched it. The Karate Kid had me doing crane kicks in the schoolyard. It wins.

todd s

Senior HTF Member

Admit it Russell. You STILL are doing crane kicks in your backyard. ;)

Also, you have to feel bad for William Zabka. Almost every role he played. He was a jerk. He could be the nicest guy off camera. But, everytime you see him. You think of him being an arse.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

Some parents don't want them to watch a rather violent and foul-mouthed film. Some of those PG rated films from 1970-84 are rather not so kid friendly these days.

Not to mention another aspect but there are very few films out there for black kids. Yes, there's plenty of white entertainment but I think Smith would try doing something bigger with this by making the hero a black child. Not too many of these films out there.

Either way $$$$$$$$$

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Well that's a whole other issue and one that i'm not touching as it will provide me with a whole weeks worth of aggravation. All this sensitivity to films these days gets on my freakin' nerves.

I watched them and I turned out well, I don't swear like a trucker and i'm not a psychopath.

Anyway the violence in the film isn't as bad as it could have been...

Check out the Mortal Kombat 'Flawless Victory' ending (turn down the volume on your speakers, though, whomever created this recorded it way loud)...

:cool:

Real Name
Shane
there is only one karate kid that man is Ralph Macchio, if they thing he should do it and it should be like about his son being the next karate kid... but i hope Ralph Macchio makes a apperance in it

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Trailer:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=61785

Garbage. Let's see if anyone gets how they took an unplanned joke from the original and made it intentional here:

"Wax on. Wax off."

to

"Jacket off."

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Ha. That joke never occurred to me.

The biggest problem I have at this point is that it's called "Karate Kid" when they're practicing kung fu (or wushu).

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
This is a pretty funny review of the trailer (as well as some other trailers)
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/teamt/dw/tf/15202-ep012

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
His observation about the flyswatter scene clicked with me and I actually felt a sting of anger right there.

They took an honest and original scene and purposefully twisted it all around until now it means nothing and serves no other purpose except to get a laugh.

To me that is this film in a nutshell.

Lastly it feels about as warm as a cold winters night and about as charming as an angry Cobra.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Personally, I'm disappointed that for all the criticism on the blogs I subscribe to, the only one to mention the kung fu vs. karate problem is a site that deals exclusively in martial arts movies. Maybe in the big scheme it's the least of the movie's problems, but it shouldn't be.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by Inspector Hammer!
They took an honest and original scene and purposefully twisted it all around until now it means nothing and serves no other purpose except to get a laugh.

To me that is this film in a nutshell.
They showcased that at least three times in the trailer:

First, when Daniel got to the apartments in Reseda, he found out they weren't going to live in the ocean paradise suggested by the apartment complex's name. Here, the kid knows he's going to China and they still have him comment about Beverly Hills. It was a natural thing in the original, but here it's just a conscious callback.

Second, the training in Karate Kid was a nice little surprise for the audience and Daniel. Neither we nor he knew he was getting his lessons through his labor. Here, instead of being smart enough to know we now know, they went for it anyway with an extremely contrived "jacket on" lesson. A few years after the Karate Kid, there was a similar movie where Billy Blanks was a janitor training a kid to stand up for himself, and he had the kid swabbing out some toilets. The kid was disgusted and annoyed, but then he said, "Oh, I get it. This is like wax on, wax off! This is my karate lesson!" Blanks says, "No, it's called cleaning the toilet so I can finish my other work to make time for your lesson!" Those filmmakers were aware enough to put a new spin on it.

Third, the fly thing. It doesn't even make sense. Why does he need to pull the fly off of the flyswatter, other than to trick us into thinking he was doing the Miyagi thing?

Other than that, the main problem is that the kid is far too young and the setting is far too alien. Daniel was about to graduate high school, and had a high schooler's problems. I don't care about what some eight-year-old is having to go through.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
You nailed it, Greg.

This is the first remake in awhile that I've truly despised with all my heart, the last one was that horrid, *HORRID* HORRID piece of blasphemy known as The Hitcher remake.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks